Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Woodentops

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 12:38:23 -0800
Subject: Woodentops

Having unfortunately found out about the Woodentops apparently just after the
Great Import Purge, the only thing by them I've been able to find is the
domestic Giant LP.  I will cheerfully go on record :-) as calling this one
of the best, possibly THE best album of the year (that I've heard).

SO what's their earlier sound?  From interviews I hear that Bob Sargeant was
responsible for mellowing them out, and they decided to go along.  No
complaints from me; I'm always happy to find really good pop music (damn hard
to find, as pop is 99 44/100% crap) and I feel that, depite the "access-
ibility", "Giant" is one awesome platter.

I hear of the existence of a U.S. compilation of their earlier stuff, called
"Well Well Well".  Haven't found it yet.  Is it easily available?

(And what DOES the new 12" sound like?  I can't imagine Adrian Sherwood
producing them, after hearing what he did to Ministry.  Woulda got it but
ran outa bux after getting the new CTwins.)

						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
I used to go to parties
I used to drink champagne