Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Mark Katsouros <KATSOURO@UMDD>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 12:57 EDT

> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 86 13:32:03 mdt
> From: seismo!hao!udenva!showard (Steve "Blore" Howard)
> Subject: Re: Kate-echism I.x.13 (Blore's response to IED)
>
> >> First of all, I never said that complexity is the same thing as
> >> over-embellishment.  Over-embellishment, much like over-production,
> >> is a result of not knowing when a song is done and continuing to add
> >> things to it.  Take a listen to "And Dream of Sheep"--one of the
> >> best cuts on the album.  No balalaikas, no pan-flute, no digerido,
> >> in short (and to avoid any further misspellings of words not found
> >> in "spell") a nice little un-embellished song.
> >
> >Then again, take a listen to "Jig of Life" and "Waking the Witch", the
> >best cuts on the album: dijeridu, uillean pipes, fiddles, synth
> >guitar, pitch-shifted distorted vocals, helicopters, etc.  Quality
> >comes in many forms.
> >
>   Granted.  But my point is that there are no songs like "And Dream of
> Sheep" on "The Dreaming."  Had it been on that album, it would have included
> fiddles, and dijeridus, and bullroarers, and Renaissance nose flutes, and
> the melody of the song would have been lost in the mix.

Well what if TD's "Get Out Of My House" or "Sat In Your Lap" were on HoL?  The
result would have probably been disasterous.  Of course there are no songs like
"And Dream of Sheep" on TD, for that would have ruined the album.  I like "And
Dream of Sheep" very much, but it doesn't have the texture that I think Kate
was trying to maintain on TD.  Kate has mentioned that TD is her favorite
album, and I feel that if it had only been more popular, we would have been
presented with an even better fifth album.

Mark Kat(e)souros

"Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die."