Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

some comments to recent digests..

From: JURGEN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 86 16:14:29 EDT
Subject: some comments to recent digests..

Andy - yes, Adrien Belew was in 'Home of the Brave'. It was also not the
first time that he has worked with Laurie... i understand that he played
on 'Mr. Heartbreak', and also, he and Laurie collaborated with Jean Michel
Jarre in 84 on the album 'Zoolook' (good stuff, check it out). Adrien Belew
must be the one person who has worked with more great artists in the music/
performance genre than any other man alive! (Zappa, Bowie, Fripp, Laurie,
Talking Heads, to name a few... if anyone could make a complete list,
i'd love to see it)
My oppinion about the TD/HoL debat is simple: i agree with the majority that
TD is the better record. Or at least i like to listen to it more. But i do
believe that HoL is also a very nice work, and as to originality, that's
not something you can measure like temperature. The fact that HoL has more
'commercial potential' does not make it unoriginal. I suppose that every-
one agrees that Kate ''s stuff is 'progressive music', and that implies that
it be progressive onto itself, as well as with respect to the industry, and
HoL is certainly a progression (?)...

> [doug on Toyah..] Toyah sounds a lot like she wants to be Kate Bush...

I must protest! I like Toyah a lot, and i also think that she doesn't
measure up to Kate in talent, but she is certainly not trying to sound
like Kate. If i'm right, both Toyah and Kate started out around the same
time, Toyah a little earlier if anything, but Toyah was much more popular
in England early in their careers, so it is not very likely that there
was much copying of style there. Her (Toyah's) first couple of records
were really original and progressive, even though Doug is right about her
only being an average musician. I recommend 'The Changeling' and 'Anthem'
very strongly to anyone who would like to hear what she sounds like...

                                        - Jurgen Botz