Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

writing.

From: James B Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 86 12:51:25 EDT
Subject: writing.

Some people write (about music in this case) for more than money.  Some
don't write for any money at all (besides breaking even).  Some write
out of love for music (or just life in general).  Some write in disgust
and can't bear to keep it inside.  Some write in fevers, they can't stop
since they are obsessed.

Just want to point out that there is more to writing than just earning money.

My opinions on rock "crits"
----------------------------

Greil Marcus - droll, bland, white-bread for the Elite
Dave Marsh - dogmatic to the point of being able to second guess, dull
Considine - you already know
Sue Cummings - perhaps the worst prozine writer I've ever stumbled across
Bart Bull - showed promise but recent efforts indicate a fast slide downhill.
Scott Cohen - very affected, self-possessed with the literai crowd
Robert Christgau - pompous to the point of ludicrity, mostly harmless
Tim Yohannan - generic, political
Byron Coley - when he's on his own he's great but his free lance stuff is
	very bland, maybe the edit him.
Jann Wenner - arrogantly ignorant, the worst

Now some of the better ones I've run across
Tim K Ansett - publishes the Offense newsletter, never a dull moment even
if you don't agree with his somewhat cynical tone.
Lester Bangs - dead but still readable
Steve Albini - writes like he is dropping bricks on pedestrians, shows no
	remorse
Don "Chet" Howland - enthusiastic, good imagery (even if he slagged your
	beloved Kate).

Now I'm not familar with crits from other countries but that's my opinions
on our own.

Over and Out,

   hof