Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rappin' 86 at the Baltimore Civic Center, 6/27/86

From: James B Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 86 11:25:13 EDT
Subject: Rappin' 86 at the Baltimore Civic Center, 6/27/86

Hofboyy BreakDances at the Civic Center - pictures at 11

Well, like the Dick Clark Cavalcade of Stars, the mainstream rap-
sters  of  Def  Jam are travelling the country now that school is
out.  If they come to your town, you'll probably see:  The  Beas-
tie  Boys / LL Cool J / Whodini and Run-DMC. I'm not too enamored
with large shows as you may have figured out - but this was pret-
ty  much worth the parking/crowd/sound problems inherent in these
venues... and afterall minimalism doesn't suffer too  much  in  a
large  room.  I  felt like I was the only white guy over 22 there
but no one seemed to care.  Missed the Beastie Boys, someone told
me they were "baaaaad"  (which means good of course).

Came in on LL Cool J - he's kinda like the  Springsteen  of  Rap,
the large crowds (and probably the paycheck, too) have helped him
get over his alienation so "Radio," his hit crossover  tune  does
seem outta place, but what the hell, this is dancin' not thinkin'
music anyway (not to imply that ALL rap is strictly this way how-
ever...  see  Bambata  or  Fresh or Kurtis Blow) He's also become
the darling of all the girls and women there and he knows it  AND
capitalizes on it.

Whodini were suprising.  I was expecting some sort of rap version
of  New Edition but instead got a raunchy set a la George Clinton
on speed.

And of course, we got Run-DMC, which were great, although  a  bit
overdone  on  the histronics (I mean it seemed a little fake with
Run acting all hostile to an adoring crowd).   They  opened  with
"Raising  Hell"  and  man,  I've grown to love that tune with the
PhilSpectorish Glockenspiel sampling and closed  with  Rock  This
House/  King of Rock.  In between, they pushed their 70's metal -
rap hybrid into maximum intensity doing songs that make you go  -
"I know that song, what is it... damn.."  Alas, they aren't doing
"Walk This Way", the run-away song  from  their  latest  album  -
maybe  because  of  the  lack of guitar?  One neat thing was when
JamMasterJay wheeled out a drumset and they played a song without
an  "melodic"  accompaniment.   Now  if they'll only get a guitar
player (my whitebread rock attitudes shine through)...

Chet Howland, Village Voice crit is rumored to say  it's  one  of
the  best concerts he's ever witnessed.  Well, I thought it was a
tad overpriced myself (13.50$) but it's one of those  things  you
can't  miss  if it comes through your town... sorta like a yearly
or biyearly thing to do like the Dead.

One another note, I heard a song on the radio by COWBOY MOUTH (?)
who I assume are from Boston since it came off Throbbing Lobster.
Any details on this band from you Bahhhstonites would be appreci-
ated.

Jim