Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Big Country, Ministry, Test Dept., etc.

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 86 15:59:23 EDT
Subject: Big Country, Ministry, Test Dept., etc.

Well, I picked up Big Country's *The Seer*.  As you might remember,
Kate sings on the title track.  I wasn't expecting much, because
nothing I've heard by Big County (not that I've listened to much) has
ever done the slightest thing for me except for bring a yawn or two.
I've only listened to one song on the album once, the title track, of
course, and I was pleasantly surprized.  It is nice folk rock.
Nothing to write home to mum about, but a pleasant break from the
Meatmen and Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel every now and then.  I'm
sure that Kate singing on it makes me like it bit more than I
otherwise might, but keep in mind, that I don't like everything Kate
sings (eg "Not This Time" -- actually I've listened to this a bit more
and agree with rpk: there's a good song in there trying to come out,
but the arrangement is naff).

I picked up Ministry's first album, *With Sympathy*, and boy was this
a shock to hear.  It's nothing like their new album.  Instead of
sounding like a more musical Test Dept., it sounds like ABC or
something.  In fact, one of the songs, "I Wanted To Tell Her", I have
heard all over the radio and never had the slightest inkling that it
was done by the same group that does "Over The Shoulder".

Speaking of Test Dept., on the radio I heard a stunning track by them
called "Fist".  It sounded a lot like The Revolting Cocks, only better
and more rhythmically interesting.  Does anyone have any Test Dept.
recommendations?  What should one start with if one liked "Fist"?

			-Doug

"We use them a while
 Then it's over the shoulder"