Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

i have returned

From: cloudbuster <umcp-cs!jhunix!rsx_zisc@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 86 13:23:57 EDT
Subject: i have returned

Thanx to the last three weeks of this voluminous digest, I am over disk
quota now and am waiting for the slow moving JHU accounting office to
straighten it out.  Therefore, I'm posting from another account.  But
be assured, it's still the same old ins_aset@jhunix!

I guess the following article is old news by now, but I feel compelled
to respond anyhoo:

Wicinski writes:

> here a story from the paper written by susie's friend and partner
> in oppressing the independent records JD Constantslime:

Tim Wicinski and Jim Hoffman sure do looove insulting JD, and I'm
getting sick of defending him, but I shall continue to do so when
need be.  Maybe they hate him so because he makes a good living
writing about music and they can just wank off on the net and in
love-hounds.  Or he doesn't write enough about skate punk hardcore.
In any case, timbo, I just checked a recent article in Musician
magazine, specifically JD's Rock Short Takes column.  Out of 14
reviews, 7 were of indie label records.  And Musician may be a
pretty mainstream mag, but face it, you can't pay the rent by
writing only for Maximum Rock and Roll and Sound Choice.  As for
my own tastes, anyone who has been regularly reading my contributions
knows that I am hardly what you would call a champion of the major
labels.  More stats, you ask?  Let's rummage through the last 10
LPs I bought and check the labels: Alpha, Rough Trade, MCA, Rough
Trade, el/Cherry Red, Mercury, Cartel, Palladium, Tandan and Wax
Trax.  I only see 2 major labels there.  Now, please shut up about
things you obviously know nothing about.

> (tim quotes a description by JD from the Washington Post about how
formularised British dance music is, which I happen to disagree with)

> I mean this guy is even on your wimpy, non-amerricanistic side
> when it comes to music, mainlu because most american bands and
> labels are smart enough to realize that all these slimey writers
> want are freebies.  I know a few american labels which do not
> cater to this kind of back-scratching ideology (Dischord stands
> number 1 on the list).

Now let me see if I can understand what you're saying.

1. JD likes all things wimpy and "non-amerricanistic."
2. *American* labels know that the only thing slimey writers (including
JD, presumably) want are free records.
3. Non-American labels don't recognize this, and send out no freebies.

Then, if JD is such a slimeball writer, why wouldn't he spurn those
wimpy Brits who don't give him his free records?  For the record, JD
does happen to prefer American music, from Husker Du to the dreaded
Boss, and I don't see how you could reach the conclusion that he
*prefers* British music from that defamatory description.  I'm glad
you weren't on my high school's debating team.

As for sending out free records to critics, what the hell's wrong
with that?  All the critics I know buy tons of records and review them
as well, but say that critic A has never heard of band B or seen their
record in the shops.  Band B's label send critic A their latest LP.
Critic A loves it and writes a glowing review.  It happens, you know.

> Morning Glories/Pussy Galore   dc space, two weeks ago
> didn't see you hear sue, what happened, dc space not akin to giving
> out free tickets?

Ooh, how cutting.  I've seen the Morning Glories, and found them not
to my liking, I'm afraid.  And I have no car (amazing, I thought these
rockcrits were chauffered down to the shows by the labels) so I could
not have gone anyway.  S'there.

And now, on to more pleasant topics.  Doug writes:

> Revolting Cocks also contains Richard 23 (of Front 242, whoever
> they are)

Front 242 are a great Belgian synthidance band.  If you want to know
more, do buy their Politics of Pressure EP on Wax Trax.  A small
investment, but great music, including the infamous "Funkhadafi."
Or check if your radio station has any of their records, which are
released domestically, by the way.  The "No Comment" LP is a good one
too.

While on vacation, I picked up an LP by a guy named Zaine Griff because
it had those magic words "Kate Bush courtesy EMI Records" on the back.
The LP's about 4 years old.  It's pretty good, very much like Ultravox
in their Vienna period, but I have no idea who Zaine is.  Not even the
trusty Trouser Press guy lists him.  Kate duets on the song "Flowers,"
a tribute to Jean Genet...

(whoops!  Read "guide" for "guy"
 up there.)

I still have lots of love-hounds to wade through, and reply to if
need be.  In the meantime, remember these words: ZODIAC MINDWARP AND
THE LOVE REACTION.

-Sue