Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jane Sibbery; M+M

From: Henry Chai <ihnp4!utflis!chai>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 86 15:42:48 edt
Subject: Jane Sibbery; M+M

In early June, Jane Siberry played two nights at the Forum, an open-air
amphitheatre at the Ontario Place (an exhibition/amusement place).  You
only have to pay the $5 admission for the park and you can go to the
concert "for free".  Real Bargain if you ask me.

Anyway, they opened the show with "Vladimir, Vladimir", with the two
backing singers and JS herself doing the dialogue (part I). She did all
of the songs from "The Speckless Sky" and 4 from "No Borders Here",
including of course "Mimi on the Beach", which recieved a standing
ovation.  As encore she did "Taxi Ride", a much more powerful rendition
then on the album, with herself on acoustic guitar backed with bass and
drums, and also "Symmetry".  The monologues for "Extra Executives" (Do
*YOU* like grouper fish??) and "Dancing Class" were longer than the
album versions.  She played a bit on the drums, and for "Dancing Class"
she donned a tutu and danced on tiptoes.  Didn't say much but she said
she's gonna tour the US.  So look out if you're a JS-fan.

Did any of you USians see her new video for "One more Color", directed
for the US market, yet?  When asked why she had a cow in it,  she said
that horses are too pretty, too "girlish", and goats and sheep aren't
right.  Cows are great 'coz they're gentle creatures, just walking
along...

M+M will be playing at the Forum in July.  Their new album "The World
is a Ball" is OK, with several songs having that typical new-wave
sound.  The song that stands out the most is "By the Waters of
Babylon".  It has a rhythm track in the background, and steel-drum-like
and other synthesized sounds, creating an effect not unlike the jungle
sounds in "Pull Out the Pin", but of course at a much lower level.  The
single "There's a Song in my Head" is already climbing the charts here
in "Tronto". (There's a 12" with 4 different mixes of this song.)

--henry