Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

When you wish upon a star in a big country all your dreams come true

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 86 15:30:23 EDT
Subject: When you wish upon a star in a big country all your dreams come true

> From: Chris J. Valas <cv%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

>> 1) The new Big Country album, entitled "The Seer," which is to be
>> released on Monday (June 23rd), contains a Kate Bush duet on the title
>> track.   (I'm pretty pissed that the KBC didn't send out a notice
>> about this...)

> Yay! Kate Bush duets with certified desperate-to-be-liked
> anything-for-a-fucking-hit assholes.

Well, no one said that Big Country has any merit, did they?

> Of course, all you completist types are going to buy their ALBUM, and
> the SINGLE, and the DANCE REMIX, just so you don't miss out on the
> tinsiest bit of "Our Beloved".

Of course.  Isn't that what fandom is all about?  I mean, it beats
collecting stamps or beating up old ladies in our spare time to while
away the boredom of an ultimately futile existence.

> And then every time your friends come over to pose for a while
> you'll have to go through fucking gyrations to explain to the
> partially hip ones why it is that you own [...] the latest issue of
> Tiger Beat, you know, the one with Leif Garretsonwanker on the
> cover, "just for the paragraph on Big Country, they mention Kate!"

Nah, I just write the paragraph down on the back of my hand while at
the magazine stand (until the bouncer comes over and says "Hey, this
ain't no library"), so I'm never faced with *that* particular
embarassment.  It's difficult enough explaining why I have 10 copies
of *Hounds of Love*.

> Sad fucks, wake me up when its over.

			"Look who's here to see you!"

			 Doug