Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: SSUD3%UK.AC.SUSSEX.VAX2@AC.UK
Date: 10-JUN-1986 12:16:16

Just a few quick responses here:

Doug mentioned that "So" wasn't recorded at Peter Gabriel's home studio.
Although various studios are mentioned, one of them, "Real World Studios"
is (I think) the name of his home studio, and that's where the bulk
of the recording took place. I think this is correct, 'cos on the
"Birdy" soundtrack, it says "A Real World Production", and also that
it was recorded at "Real World Studios". However, since most of the
stuff is instrumentals from "Security" (which was recorded at home),
use your rules of formal logic to deduct where "So" was recorded....
(I could be wrong, though. I've never been good at logic)

Speaking of somewhat trivial technicalities, does anyone else know
more about the legal aspect of liscencing technicalities in regards
to EMI's use of Kate's master tapes (made by her company, Norvercia)?
I'm interested in music and the law, and was wondering if anyone
knows of other similar arrangements (I think Paul McCartney, Duran
Duran, Queen, and Michael Jackson all own their master tapes, and
liscence them to the record company. Oh, and David Bowie. It seems
like this is a particular trend with EMI. Any ideas?)

As far as the "Under the Ivy" fanzine goes, I'm personally staying
away from it, since it sounds pretty shady. Apparently, it is run
by Andrew Whiteside, who has been a Kate fan for a long time, but
who is also practicing to be a rock critic along side with Richard Cook!
Several years ago, he sent an article in to Homeground, completely
slagging off "Never for Ever" and most of Kate's other albums in
the same sort of Richard Cook style. When Peter Morris questioned
why he was sending such an overly negative review in to Homeground
(and asked him to tone it down somewhat), Andrew ran off like a
bratty kid and started up his own fanzine. I have never read an
entire article, but someone read me his "review" of "Hounds of Love"
in which he ran down all the songs, saying, for instance, that
"Running up that Hill" is such a boring song, that everyone he
knows wants to skip the needle over it and go on to the second song!

Actually, I find it to be one of her most enduring songs, that
gets better with each listen. (Unlike the second song!).

One really weird thing, though, is that it literally sounds to
be running at a different pace every single time I listen to it!

At first I thought that the 12" and the cassette, and the CD were
mastered at different speeds, but someone at the convention assured
me that he counted the beats, and they are all the same.
However, when I put it on this morning, it seemed to be running
DOWN that hill, it was going so fast! (And it can't be the turntable
'cos I have a portable CD player). Is this an aural illusion?
Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Hugh