Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KB videos

From: bu-cs!sam
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 86 12:48:21 EDT
Subject: KB videos

Hugh writes:

>Well, I really doubt that she purposely planned it to be random
>and somewhat incomprehensible, since she said in the last KBC newsletter
>that the thing she hates most about rock videos is how unstructured
>they are. I totally agree with this - unless the song is really
>unstructured and stream-of-consciousness to begin with.

>OK, "Hounds of Love" totally bit the dust in my eyes,

I am one of the less fortunate souls who has not yet seen the video
for "Big Sky", but I have seen "Hounds of Love"...

I don't think that Hounds of Love is random or unstructured, though.
I like the word "intricate".  So what if it's distracting?  Videos
are a VISUAL medium, and by the time you see one, you already know
the song by heart anyway.  I could sing Hounds of Love backwards in
my sleep; in the video, I find all the overlapped and not-so-noticable
details refreshing.

Isn't intricacy and organized randomness what we *liked* about the
music in The Dreaming?  So why isn't it okay to use the same strategy
in a video?

 	- Shelli