Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: SSUD3%UK.AC.SUSSEX.VAX2@AC.UK
Date: 5-JUN-1986 12:14:46

Here are some miscellaneous bits from the latest issue of "Record Mirror":

1) "Hounds of Love" is holding steady at #36 on the charts for the
   second week in a row.

2) "The Single File" video collection moved up from #12 to #8 on the
    music video charts, where it has been near the top of the charts
    ever since the release of "Hounds of Love"

3)  The compact disc of HoL just re-entered at #8 on the CD charts, due
   to a new shipment/pressing of the CD, so that all the stores are now
   supplied with huge stacks of it once again. There are now mass quantities
   of "Lionheart" and "The Kick Inside" CD's once again, which appear to be
   yet another german pressing by Polygram. (I was hoping for a pressing from
   EMI's new Swindon CD plant in the UK, which is way overdue in opening)

4) The following is from the "Chartfile" section by Alan Jones:

   "Now more than eight years into her chart career, Kate Bush has
   singlehandedly written all 15 of her hit singles, a figure unrivalled by any
   other female singer/songwriter in the world.

   Kate Also shares the distingction of being one of only three women to pluck
   more than three top 40 hits off an album (Tina Turner and Madonna are the
   other two).
   Kate's "Hounds of Love" has been raided for "running up that hill" (#3)
   "Cloudbusting" (#20), "Hounds of Love" (#18) and "The Big Sky" (#37).
   In addition to spawning these hits, the "Hounds of Love" album has sold over
   400,000 copies in its own right, and is the fourth best selling compact
   disc ever released in Britain, lining up behind Dire Straits' "Brothers
   in Arms", and "Love Over Gold", and Phil Collins' "No Jacket Required".

Regarding the release of "the Dreaming" and "Never for Ever" on Compact disc,
in view of the above information, it is almost certainly legal hassles between
Kate and EMI (probably regarding royalty payments, like the Beatles) that
are causing the delay in release, rather than pressing plant limitations.
(After all, they managed to get repressings done of the first two albums...)
After all, HoL, according to the above, is EMI's largest selling compact
disc EVER, so they are probably dying to release the others on CD.

Speaking of releases, if there are any Elvis Costello fans out there,
"Trust" and "This Years Model" were just released on Monday via the independent
company Demon records, and pressed at the Nimbus plant in England.
However, "This Years Model" sticks to the original british album format,
which had "Night Rally" at the end, in place of "Radio Radio", and also
has the additional song, "I don't want to go to Chelsea" (which only
appears on the U.S. release, "Taking Liberties". (Oops - I just noticed
that I forgot to specify that I am talking about new CD releases here...)
Anyway, the interesting thing is that the British release of "Armed Forces"
on CD exactly matched the american CD and LP versions (i.e. it has "What'
s  so funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding" and leaves off "Sunday's
Best".)  This is getting confusing! Anyway, the point is that I'm going
to wait for the US release of "this year's model" on CD 'cos I'm more
used to that format - but be aware of the differences before you shell
out $18 bucks or so for the import CD.

Hugh