Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brit vs US inanities

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 86 13:22:42 -0700
Subject: Re: Brit vs US inanities

Well.  wicinski@nrl-css.arpa rants:

>well, all you "post-moderninsts" out i gots a story for you.  I was told
>by no other than a post modernists who shall remain nameless due to his
>straight edge ness that the only post modernist band is No Trend.

What gives him the sole authority on what's postmodern?  It ain't a movement
in the way Dada or Futurism were ... there's no elite federation of post-
modernists who say "this is p.m. and this ain't".  Think for yourself be the
whole of the law.

My suggestion: Read some Donald Barthelme (generally recognized as
postmodern; try "60 Stories") and then go look at early Talking Heads
lyrics.

>see what JD is saying ?? go to england, get a drum machine, a synth,
>some bad vocals, and a haircut and you got yerself a NME spread...which
>is what most bands do anyway.

>Peter, my boy - your logic is so full of stupid holes I'm not even gonna
>bother to respond, I have more important things conversations [sic] to carry
>on.

Thanks for the kindness.  I'm actually not overly impressed by most of the
commercial Brit bands popping up these days.  I'll admit that some of their
stuff is catchy, and good to dance to, and I can enjoy dancing to it, but
it's a predictable formula in the same sense that heavy metal is; I just
find the synth-pop formula more tolerable than the HM formula.  I may think
the current Blow Monkeys song is a good piece of fluff, but I'm not going
to BUY it, I'm not going to call it ART and put posters of them up on my
wall -- why does everything that passes through your ears have to be so
FUCKING IMPORTANT?  Mellow out.  "Fuck art, let's dance" is a nice attitude
to have sometimes when you don't at the moment feel like combing hole-in-
the-wall record stores for that Catholic Upchuck E.P you're missing from
your collection ...

Just for people's info, here are the Brit bands I've been listening to the
most lately:
	Echo & the Bunnymen  (only the early stuff, pleez)
	Bauhaus
	Cabaret Voltaire
	Cocteau Twins
	Brian Eno  (Before & After Science)
	XTC
	Pink Floyd  (Ummagumma)

Note lack of Pet Shop Boys or Sigue Sigue Sputnik.  Bug off.

						--Pete the Art-Slave
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu