Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest

From: Tavares@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Thu, 29 May 86 00:19 EDT
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest

Whoa, hof!  Ya slandered Tomita, and woke me up!  (You did it a week
ago, but who's counting?)

Tomita may be a "pretentious asshole" to you, but I feel the man was an
early force in bringing the synth into its own as a serious musical
choice.  (Much more consistent than the lighter stuff W.  Carlos was
doing at about that time.)  In my opinion, if you have not heard
Tomita's renditions of Stravinsky, you have not heard Stravinsky.  I
like to think that Stravinsky wrote his stuff expressly for the synth,
but since it hadn't been invented yet, he had to do the best he could
with more primitive things like horsehair, catgut, rosin, felt, steel,
goldbeater skin, brass, etc.