Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The sweetness of Phenyl-kate-onurics

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Sun, 25 May 86 17:18 PDT
Subject: The sweetness of Phenyl-kate-onurics

The L.A. Times gave So a rave
review, singling out Kate Bush's
singing on "Don't Give Up" as
one of the highpoints. Only "Big
Time" was criticized as too simple
a funk/r'n'b arrangement, with a
protest theme too obviously presented.
Everything else was seen as great.
Hmmmm...
I finally picked out Peter Morris in
Kate's "Big Sky" film, thanks to Doug's
hint that he plays a pilot. In fact there
are at least three pilots, all wearing
fighter pilot caps and goggles, and Peter
is recognizable for an instant on the far
left, as the camera pans by the group.
Now, the only crucial question is whether
one of the pairs of goggles is the same as
that worn by Kate during her performance of
"Lionheart" in the Hammersmith video. (You
will remember that one of that pair's lenses
was cracked...) Doug has already noted a
reference to the Lionheart LP in the film,
and I see an allusion to the "Dreaming" film
in the falcon sequence from "The Big Sky".The
astronauts, of course, can be seen as an echo of "Hello
Earth." Perhaps there are more references to be found.
Does anyone know of any previous reference in
Kate's work to either Superman or Napoleon?
I assume they are merely references to flight --
Napoleon's symbol being the eagle -- and thus
to the sky.