Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)
Date: Fri, 23 May 86 14:10:28 EST

Random observations:
Seems like we have big problems in recent anarchic discussions here.
We can't agree whether or not rock is a fad. We can't justify putting down
"commercial" music and hence cannot give good reasons why people
should listen to progressive music instead of top 40 (at least without using
quasi-moral arguments "Madonna promotes pathological materialistic values"
or vague quasi-elitist statements "Residents are more challenging music
because they deconstruct pop :-)"). We can't argue against trendiness
because if rock is a fad, then we're all guilty of trendiness. Anyone
wants to try to sort this out? Where's Greg Taylor when we need him? :-)

Back to music. A short review:

SCIENCE FICTION WORMS		Behold, I stand at the door, and knock...

	The Worms are a local duo who play in other more conventional local
bands. This is their first tape, and there's a wide range of sounds on it.
There are snatches of early Bauhaus, but without that band's self-indulgence,
and a stiff dose of industrial music. (I would list Chrome as an influence,
but the band assured me they were not familiar with Chrome when they cut
these tracks.)

	Some of the lyrics are humorous, overdone just to the point of
parody (try "All I need is a gun" :-) with a driving hardcore beat). There
are lots of distorted vocals over wailing, distorted guitar/bass and
thumping drums, a superb Chrome-like epic ("Real Horror Show Like")
and tape loop-based tracks ("Sick in Bed"). There's even a 6 min.
danceable fake "club hit". A nice first effort, certainly more
interesting than most of the other bands I've heard around here.

	If you're interested contact me, and I'll try to get extra copies.

				Bill Hsu