Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: SSUD3%UK.AC.SUSSEX.VAX2@AC.UK
Date: 13-MAY-1986 13:01:27

Thanks to Andrew Marvick and Doug Alan, I think
I've figured out how to post messages to "Love-Hounds"
directly from England. If anyone has any specific information
they would like me to report from this end of things, please
let me know, by mailing to:

ssud3%uk.ac.sussex.vax2@ucl-cs.arpa

I could provide up to date chart positions, or new
articles to watch out for, or live appearances,
or whatever.

The first bit of news that I havn't noticed yet on the net
is regarding the new Kate Bush cover of Muriel Hogan's
"Agent Orange Song."  I just happened to notice this in
the latest (May '86) edition of "PULSE!" magazine, put out
by Tower records (which just opened up a store in London).

It is an article on "Country Joe's TAPE TALK: an `Audio Magazine'
looking for a global audience"  Here are a couple of exerpts:

"`What We're presenting here,' Joe says, `Is an incredibly
diverse kind of music to a very, very sophisticated
audience of global music. When you pick up TAPE TALK,
you are liable to hear anything from African Root music
to hard core punk to Italian rock 'n' roll to Celtic
Harp music'

"A typical TAPE TALK side starts with an introduction by
the person that compiled that side. TAPE TALK 4, for example,
has Holly Near introducing "Women's Music," followed by
six cuts selected by her. On the flip, Country Joe introduces
"Music of Vietnam Veterans," followed by 7 cuts of his choosing.
"Agent Orange Song," by Muriel Hogan, is about being killed
by the chemical and not even knowing it at the time.
But it's Kate Bush's fragile acappella interpretation that
brings home the meaning with a brutal irony no human being
with one good ear could misunderstand."

The article then goes on to say that these tapes are of
very limited quantity, and will probably be very hard
to find in record stores. They are distributed through
California Record Distributors on the West Coast.
Country Joe McDonald, who puts them out, can be reached
at:

Tape Talk
Box 3316
San Francisco, CA. 94119

I havn't heard this song yet, and would be very interested
to hear is someone gets hold of one of these tapes.

Hugh