Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

IED IN MTV SOS

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Mon, 19 May 86 11:49 PDT
Subject: IED IN MTV SOS

For self-therapeutic reasons I have
decided to let everyone know that,
in hopes of recording "The Big Sky"
promo film, I have now watched nearly
13 hours of MTV.
This has been a thoroughly depressing experience
even in fast scanning speed. Iknow it sounds naive, but I
simply cannot understand how the people who run that station can
go to sleep at night, knowing what they do, how much
bad taste they are responsible for. I don't mean to imply that I
have any moral objection like the senators' wives,  or anything
like that -- but can someone explain to me how any self-respecting
teen-ager (I assume the large majority of their audience are
in their mid-teens) can submit to video after video of these
bands of beefy men with elaborately coiffed hair and ludicrous
electric guitars, strutting about in striped or leopard-spotted
tights and wiggling in front of paid models? How many garish
orange-and-blue lighting effects will the audience take without
objection? For how long will they tolerate the exhibition of an
endless succession of mindless, preening, narcissistic morons?
And how many viewers have been really deluded into a belief that
lip-synching is actually a live performance? If none, then why does
lip-synching continue? I assume that Kate continues to
do it out of an obligation to satisfy the demands of her business,
but who in the business could still be convinced of the efficacy of
lip-synching? It seems to me that whatever advantage gained from
letting the original recording substitute for a potentially imperfect
live performance of the music is more than offset by the ridiculous
visual effect of lip-synching itself. Half the time now the performers
don't even go through the minimal attempt at deception of holding a
microphone. I'm down, L-Hs, I'm really down. And it's going to get
worse as the days go by, as long as I have to keep watching that
crud.