Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

From: Young Adult in a Septic Tank <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 19 May 86 12:28:43 EDT
Subject: In reply to Herr Rossi. . .

Mr Rossi points out:
>Unfortunately we also have people like Hof who want to cling to the safety of
>conventional musical expression.

Then he  goes on to tell us...
>Hi-NRG is supposed to sound like it does then it has just the right amount
>of synthesizers.  There is a general concept here, Hof, ANYTHING THAT SOUNDS
>THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED HAS THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF EVERYTHING IT HAS. Period.
>You can criticize the work, you can criticize the gendre, but saying that
>Hi-NRG sucks because it has too much synthesizer is the same as saying that
>Vivaldi's music sucks because it has too much violin.  Hi-NRG would probably
>suck if it was played with congas and digeridus.
>Away from Hi-NRG and other pop styles where synth is prominent, there is a

The point is this use of the synth has become VERY conventional - almost TOO
conventional to the point of idiocy. (disco)  I think the synth pop bands are
among the most conventional ...  I'm sorry, but is it wrong to find new ways
to coax sounds out of guitars?  Are guitars a dirty word among you electronic
geniuses?  Is *this* an example of "the empororer wears no clothes" ... is
anyone going to confirm this or should I just wallow in my ignorance.

>serious side of pop synthesis.  Philip Glass, Tomita, Lary Fast are among
>the most easily mentioned examples of serious synthesists.  Glass, being
>the most radical member of this set in that in the future, when Butthole
>Surfers are forgotten, Glass will probably be revered as a classical composer.
>In closing, synthesizers are instruments.  They should be considered equally
>with their longer lived cousins.  A musical composition, should not be
>evaluated based on the instruments with which it is played but on the time
>tested critical evaluations of the quality of the final product.  Shit
>will sound like shit no matter what it is played on.

When Glass is revered as a classical composer (or imposter) you shall be dead.

So will Glass.

Live for now I say ... I find The Butthole Surfers recent work alot more
interesting than Glass's work.  Maybe what all you "serious" art-rockers
can't comprehend is that rock is a fad, a trend and any attempts to mangle
it or compose it are fruitless and is a basic solitary indulgence.  So, the
Surfers won't be remember two generations hence - I'll certainly remember them
long after I have forgotten Glass's recent work, that's for sure ... is that
all that counts?  When it comes to rock, hell yes!
At least the Surfers don't rise to these prententions because as Neils Mayers
goes, "it doesn't really matter (ad infin)..."  I've heard Tomita and if
he is a serious synthesists then why am I hold my guts in laughing at the
mere mention of his name?  By your defintion, John, serious synthesists are
pretentious assholes.

Again, I don't want to assume that P. Glass feels this way, only what Rossi
said ...

As for Chopin, Vivaldi et al ... their music is mildly interesting to me but
really is devoid of any message ... it's a good showcase for "talented"
musicians to show off and build their ego to tuxedoed audiences though.
How cum people always fall asleep at these concerts, though?

>Maybe if Coitus used more synths.... (sigh)

I don't know about all this "time-tested" and "serious musical composition"
arguments that permeate net.music and now this list?  I think since it is nearly
impossible for an artist to reach every person in the universe with his
message that success can come if you've influenced/moved/been understood
by at least one person.  But the more the merrier.  So don't feel bad as
I understand alot of people enjoyed your music.

By the time you're dead and revered/or spat upon - it won't matter, you won't
be here to get your ego gratified/degraded.  Unless of course, the geneticists
are right and we live to be 300 years old.

Ignorantly yours,
   James

----
p.s. I think all these putdowns of Larry Palena are classless and just as sexist
and discriminatory as the worst of what I've seen.  Even more so.  The guy isn't
here to defend himself - when you attack Tim for using the word "fag" at least
he can defend himself... even if you do sound like the PMRC and all.