Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

those Brian Eno videos

From: ll-xn!caip!uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor (Greg Taylor)
Date: Wed, 14 May 86 14:01:18 cdt
Subject: those Brian Eno videos

>From: John Kitamura <ihnp4!utcsri!kato>
>
>Brian Eno update:
>	The CD version of MORE BLANK THAN FRANK has at least one ambient
>track on it ("1/1", from Music For Airports). I don't recall if it differs
>	Also I noticed a video and CD release by Eno (I can't remember the name
>but I think it's something like "Thursday Afternoon") with little or no
>information regarding what appears on either product. Does anyone have
>these items?

Yeah. I have the stuff. The video is a series of portrait-type paintings
of a semi-nude woman. The monitor must be turned on its side to view
the pieces. The video treatments are very slow and very subtle, often
just little skeins of colour being blown slowly onto the skin.

The CD is actually the music to the piece. It's the late-period Eno
technique of setting up multiple loops of subtle changes. Unlike
some of his other ambient stuff, there's a single, sustained chordal
wash that covers the whole of the piece. It's in the "The Pearl" and
"Apollo" vein, only much longer and slower. Many very nice little
touches are done at excruciatingly low volume levels. I initially did
not care all that much for it, but now find that it's really grown
on me.

And the patented Eno tape hiss that colours everything else he's
done is or seems to be largely absent.

By the way, the CD from MBTF replaces King's lead hat with "back in
Judy's Jungle" Heaven knows why they did that, but hey.

"As one who sees within a dream, and, later/the passion that had been
imprinted stays,/but nothing of the rest returns to mind,/such am I-
for my my vision almost fades/completely, yet it distills within/my
heart the sweetness that was born of it."(Dante/Paradiso,XXXIII 58-63)