Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

answers

From: Susanne E Trowbridge <umcp-cs!jhunix!ins_aset@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Thu, 15 May 86 17:38:29 EDT
Subject: answers

"Where can I get those Jane Siberry albums?"

Her latest is distributed by the mighty A&M Records (Windham Hill/
Open Air is the actual label, though) so even the most dreadful
mall record shop should have it.  If not, it should be ridiculously
easy to order.  Of course, I went looking for the Smiths' debut
album in the summer of '84, after it had been out for at least
four months, and the hopeless record shop I went to had never even
heard of them, even though they are affiliated with the mighty
Warner Bros/Sire.  It pays to patronize the shops of those who
actually make an effort to keep up with music that isn't
necessarily in the top-40.

"What is Hi-NRG music?"

High energy...it got its start in the gay discos, but there is some
crossover (Pet Shop Boys began working with the master of Hi-NRG
stuff, Bobby Orlando, or just Bobby O for short).  It's basically
synthesizer music with lots and lots of beats per minute.  Disco,
even.  Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby" is Hi-NRG.  Some of
the better known artists are Divine (yes, the star of John Waters'
films), Hazell Dean, The Flirts, Princess, etc.  Quite a bit of
it can be found on the British charts.

Most Hi-NRG "artists" have very little to do with the creation of
their music; they are just mouthpieces for producers like Bobby O.
If you want to hear it, seek out a gay disco (like our fabled Hippo
here in Bal'mer) and you will undoubtedly hear quite a bit...

-Sue