Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sorry, Larry.

From: O D a Postpunk <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 1 May 86 12:05:06 EDT
Subject: Sorry, Larry.

Jim cleans out his files ...
Records I have listened to (or at least looked at the cover)::

Jeff Greinke - Cities in Fog (Intrepid).  Music for reading Alan
Moore by.  If you've ever walked through a deserted area of the
world alone and scared, this comes close to recreating such an experience.
Alien sounds travel across the ether on an unfamiliar urban shoreline.
Whooo, whooo ... is that Swampy over there?  Who's watching me?  Ouch, damnit.
Factories click and drip hours after they are shut off.  Did you know
that?  Have you heard that?  It's all on this vinyl.

Ronald Shannon Jackson - Decode Yourself.  Even though it's got the "hip"
sideman and the Bill Laswell production and I don't generally go for
jazz, I am entranced by certain cuts on this.  R S Jackson has apparently
done a little listening to hardcore and attempts to fuse it with
his hard-driving backbeat.  This is noticeable primarily on the first
side.  The second side got a bit schmaltzy (as jazz sometimes does) and
has a loser cut with Laswell on drum machine.  Does that guy have a haircut
or something?  Good noise/bad noise.

The Zabruders - HannaBarbarian. This one came in the mail in about 20
pieces, so I read the lyrics and sent it back with an addressed mailer
with wood paneling like SST sends.  I hope they send back a good copy.  The
lyrics were good.  Sorta about tripping out in the wasteland of
California desert.  I tried shaking the pieces up but I couldn't
hear any guitar.  I did keep the packaging material so I could pop the
bubbles.

And now for something completely different:

Sex between a US Senator and a reptilian creature!

"Now!" croaked Charles Mathias as the
insatiable electric eel devoured his
rosebud breasts and plunged its prosthetic
ramrod into his welcoming tush.