Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ramblings

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 86 17:34:46 EST
Subject: ramblings

Ooooops... when I thanked Greg Earle for the Harmonizer correction I actually
meant Greg Taylor... sorry... (insert red face symbol here)

Re: Fu-Sheng's adventure at Tower Records

Joy Division, Bauhaus, Cure, Cocteau Twins, Television at $1.99??????
I think I'm going to be ill...

Another round of Bauhaus/Tones on Tail/Love and Rockets/Peter Murphy comparisons:

I must say Bauhaus is still my favorite of the above. The first Bauhaus album
(In the Flat Field) is a superbly savage post-punk record, tho more slickly
produced and self-indulgent than most. The band gets more mellow with each
album, but my impression is Bauhaus is really a versatile band showing what
it can do rather than simply mellowing out to sell more records. (There's
a weird interview from '82 where they claim they're really trying for a
big hit, so I don't know anymore... )

Sometimes I get the impression Daniel Ash etc. dumped Peter Murphy to form
Tones on Tail so they get to do the vocals instead:-) On the whole, Tones
on Tail is a much quieter band than Bauhaus. They do some very Bauhaus-like
stuff, and some light synth ditties.

Love and Rockets seems to me like more Tones on Tail but with stronger songs
and a heavy emphasis on intricate acoustic guitar textures. Daniel Ash
apparently is not interested in being a feedback demon all his career...
I'm ambivalent about Peter Murphy's solo stuff. What little I've heard
walks a thin line between nice synth-flavored epics (try his cover of
Magazine's The Light Flows Out of Me) and bland dance music. His glorious
voice deserves stronger material.

				Bill Hsu