Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Greg REFUSES to PRAY at the ALTAR of the God PENIS ROCK ...

From: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (Greg Earle)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 86 23:24:46 pdt
Subject: Greg REFUSES to PRAY at the ALTAR of the God PENIS ROCK ...

Being the disoriented ramblings of yours truly after being barraged by the
last 100K of L-H ...

Obligatory Kate Note:
	I'm surprised nobody mentioned the interview in last month's Blitz
mag with Johnny Lydon, wherein he mentions something to the effect that
Hounds Of Love is "beautiful, like an Opera!" and he expresses a desire to
work with her (!), because "I can hit some of the high notes now!".  Then
again, when asked to pick out records for some radio show, among others
were Van Halen, Family, and A-Ha, so mebbe he's just gone soft in the head ...

'Early' Simple Minds:
	"Empires and Dance" is a Classic.  So far beyond whatever-their-new-
lp-is-called it's like Night and Day.  In the vein of "Sellout of talented
musicians" [more on this later], they were awesome at the Whiskey in '82.
Two years later, for the NGD tour they played eleven songs; 8 were from the
NGD lp (did every song but 1!!), plus 'Love Song' and 'American'.  The road
to Pandering had begun in earnest ...

Jim Lippard - Re: The Cult in Phoenix:
	This is ancient Love-Hounds history, but ...
The reason Phoenix got stiffed by The Cult first time 'round is because they
were in L.A. right before, and found themselves astonished by the response.
Contrary to any "injury" rumors you may have been shoveled, fact is, is that
they decided to play 3 L.A. shows instead ...

Album Title Of The Month:
	Salamander Jim (Aus) "Lorne Green Shares His Precious Fluids"

Peter E. Lee - Re: Abecedarians
	Lucky you, small world theory strikes again.  Abecedarians are a group
of three from Newport Beach, CA.  The drummer and guitarist/vocalist and I
have been friends for over 5 years (ever since my hell raisin' daze of living
there).  They have been together for about 2 1/2 years.  Relevant Wrigley's
Fun Facts:
- They appear on a Trance Port Tapes compilation, "L.A. Mantra II".  If any
of you can find this, *highly* recommended.
- Only U.S. band other than Thick Pigeon to have a Factory release (I am not
counting Ike Yard).
- Were supposed to have a 7-color-cover double LP released on Independant
Project records (Savage Republic, 1st Camper Van Beethoven, Kommunity FK),
but the head of IPR was holding out for this deluxo cover deal that they
could not come up with the mega$$$ for.  Project shelved.  They are currently
trying to put out an LP themselves.
- Opened for both New Order shows last year in L.A., and also S.F.
- I found the influences (Units, Ultrasheen) amusing, since they are primarily
NOT a synth band ...  older Section 25/N.O. might be closer.  The 'synth'
you mention as featuring "a level of energy which is rare for the genre"
was added by Factory to enhance the "Dance-Mix" saleability ... they hate it.
- I have a live through-the-soundboard tape of them nyeah nyeah nyeah :-) :-)
- The Factory single was over a *year* from initial deal to in-the-stores,
so, sorry, it was a one-off ...
- See the latest "Interview" magazine (the one on Music), and look in the
pictures 'Seen in L.A.' section for visual input ...

Sellout Of A Talented Musician:
	(Related to above) Hey Rossi, you ask Hofmann how creative he can
be after working for the gummint all day ... this is bogus.  Lead singer/
guitarist/synth for above Abecedarians works full days as mgr. of Peer
Records, Newport Beach CA (you can look it up), and still finds time to
front a band that stood head and shoulders above all other L.A. trash last
year.  There are lot of bands out there "living off their talent" and
starving who DON'T spin a "different tune concerning the megalopolitical
empire of the record industry" ... Feh.  BTW, "Berlin School"???  Hmm,
I woulda said Einsturzende Neubauten and Die Todliche Doris, myself ...

Abstract Magazine compilation:
	Peter Lee mentioned this (in passing) when he gave 4AD '86 release
info.  My $0.02 is, great value for money - unusually high Signal/Noise ratio
for a compilation.  Great packaging as well, and you get a good read with
band info and such to boot ...

Last Word On Drugs:
	Since somehow I started this (way back when), I'd like a few licks.
Enough Of Anal Retentive Bullshit!  If someone wants to take drugs to see
a concert, that's their business.  I used to take them all the time.  Now
I rarely do (work and all that).  That doesn't mean (a) I need drugs to
appreciate the music - gimme an F'ing break; or (b) that if you take
drugs, "that's really sad".  There are certain chemicals which can enhance
musical appreciation.  That doesn't mean you can't appreciate it when you're
straight!  Jeezuz ... I saw Executive Slacks on Ecstasy, and it was great.
Two days later I saw them straight, and they were still great.  Drugs can
positively enhance your listening experience, and you can take 'em or leave
'em as well, IT DOESN'T MATTER.  Nobody's telling Joe Turner he's "pond scum"
if he doesn't take drugs.  On the other hand, I don't want him telling ME
that "If you can't listen to music without taking drugs, ... that's really
sad".  BULLSHIT.  Please keep the Morality Plays to a minimum.  BTW, Wicinski,
since when is Ecstacy not a "real drug"??  Any chemical named MDMA that is
Amphetamine based sure as hell is just as real to me as MDA (sorry, no cutesy
name for that one yet) or anything else.  I have this great urge to talk
about the 1980 Cab Vol show I saw on 5 Percodans, but, aw, forget it ...

Eno:
	"Lion Sleeps Tonight" is also on a nice bootleg 7" 45, with a picture
cover ...

Peter Alfke:
	No.  Hula are the new Hula.  Skinny Puppy are the new Cabaret Voltaire.
Then again, maybe Skinny Puppy are the new Severed Heads ...

Sisters Of Mercy Spinoffs Redux:
	The smoke has cleared, and all votes are in:
- Andrew Eldritch is involved with The Sisterhood (as you probably knew, if you
cared about such things).  They have a single, "Giving Ground", out already.
- Craig Adams and Wayne Hussey attempted to form a band *also* called the
Sisterhood, but lost out.  They now go by The Mission, and release their 1st
single next month.
- Gary Marx joined forces with former Skeletal Family vocalist Anne-Marie in
a band called Ghost Dance.  No vinyl info available.

Sue Trowbridge and The Elderly Community:
	Sue comments on RLYL: "what were those two people doing there who
looked to be about 50 years old?"  Hmmm ... I hope that when I'm fifty I'll
be seeing the 2008 version of amazing bands like RLYL, Sue ...  Sounds pretty
cool to me.  Think about that statement, and your own involvement in the
"Alternative Culture" - what do YOU expect to be doing at 50?  Knitting
sweaters for the grandchildren, perhaps?  Amazing how it is impossible to
be "cool" and age at the same time in this culture.  Often I think about how
anyone that is still iconoclastic, and holds any of the Punk philosophy over
a length of time, will end up being looked upon as "just another crazy old
folk" eccentric ...  BTW, the song you didn't recognize between "Hollow Eyes"
and "Chance" was undoubtedly "Strange Dream" from the 1st RLYL lp if their
set list didn't vary.

RLYL, JaMC, and Spin Radio:
	RLYL did a live session for Spin Radio the day after their L.A. gig.
Set list appeared to be the same as the gig.  If you get this "Spin Radio"
show, watch for it being broadcast.  Also, one of the JaMC Roxy gigs was
recorded as well, and will be made into an LP.  You might want to watch for
that as well.  For you collectors out there, US Rough Trade has re-issued
the JaMC debut single "Upside Down/Vegetable Man" in a glossy color sleeve 7",
might wanna grab it for posterity ... *FLAME* Red Lorry Yellow Lorry are by
far the most intense guitar band on Planet Earth *FLAME OFF*

Peter Murphy LP:
	... is not out yet, LoveCat.  Reason unknown.

Sound Choice mag:
	I'd like to second Hofmann's comments on Sound Choice, and I'd like
to add that it's worth it just to read page 7, in the Letters To The Editor
section.  Apparently the editor tweaked a few noses out of joint at some
geeko radio station, and they wrote in to whine and complain about how unfair
he was to them, and to defend this and that, etc.  Suffice it to say that
said editor NUKED the HELL out of these FAGS far better than I ever could,
and much laughter was had from visualizing said geeks with tails between
legs.  There is also a section (on fanzines, Jim?) where I recall reading
an editorial that, if you read it, will make you realize that the only place
that Spin magazine deserves to be, is in the smallest room in your abode
(figure it out, bozos) where you can quickly read and put it BEHIND you ...

Why is there so much interest in the new Peter Gabriel?  You BORED out there
in Dairyland, or something?  Need some new RECORDS to cure your fix?  Pretty
SAD if the new PG is the only thing you can talk about ... I'd rather talk
about the new Test Dept. LP - the one that gives you a headache when you listen
to it 'cuz there's so many BRILLIANT ideas going around it makes your HEAD
SWIM after a while.  WAKE UP - the below water section of the ICEBERG awaits
if only you'd put on your FUCKING DIVING MASK and LOOK down there for it.

Playlist for Radio Station KGRG, somewhere BELOW 88 on your DIAL ...
	Arms Of Someone New "Susan Sleepwalking" LP
	The Bodines "Therese" 12"
	Buzzcocks "Razor Cuts" Bootleg LP just unearthed ...
	Faith No More "We Care A Lot" LP
	Hula "Freeze Out" 12"
	Lulu Kiss Me Dead "Speak To Me" 12"
	Richenel "L'Esclave Endormi" 12" ( 4AD BAD 601 )
	Salvation "Jessica's Crime" 12" (Former Merciful Release band,
	                                 produced by Wayne Hussey on Batfish)
	Scattered Order "Career Of The Silly Thing" LP
	Shadow Of Fear "Shadow Of Fear" mini-LP
	Shock Headed Peters "Life Extinguisher" 12"
	Skinny Puppy "Bites" LP
	Test Dept. "The Unacceptable Face Of Freedom" LP
	The Three Johns "Sold Down The River" 12"
	Various Artists "Uhutemas/Archetypi" LP (SPK, Laibach, Lustmord, etc.)
	Wire "The Legendary Manchester Wire" Bootleg 12" just unearthed also..

NOW GET OUT THERE AND START SWIMMING

To all, a good (Bob) Knight - it's Music For FILMS II, not AIRPORTS ...

Gotta GO - the DRAINO ENEMA is wearing off now ...
--

	Greg Earle		UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle
	JPL			ARPA: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu

An Italian is COMBING his hair in suburban DES MOINES!