Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Joy Division on disc

From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 86 16:08:10 -0800
Subject: Joy Division on disc

HA!

I today picked up both "Unknown Pleasures" and "Closer" at my local record
shop (Poo Bah Records, Pasadena CA).  They were about $17 each, the most I've
ever shelled out for discs, but worth it: these are two of my all-time
favorite classics.

Sound is just fine!  I'm always pleased when I can tell a noticable difference
between CD and vinyl, and I could on these.  Slight hiss, but what do you
expect from "AAD"?  There is a very good "presence", if you know what I mean;
all the sounds are crisp and real-sounding.  When the bottle smashed against
the left speaker at the start of "I Remember Nothing" I instantly jerked my
head up and it took a finite moment of staring at the speaker to realize what
was going on ...

Someone earlier asked for the catalogue numbers, they are:
	Unknown Pleasures	FACD 10		(Made in France by MPO)
	Closer			FACD 25		(Made in Britain by Nimbus)
Not too surprising.

Both come with the nifty "car carry case" paper slipcovers, which should make
jewel-box-haters a bit happier.  Incidentally, there is no indication that
these are limited editions; I think that rumor was bogus.

Happy Hunting!
						--Peter Alfke
						  alfke@csvax.caltech.edu
PS: Is Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" really in stores?
    I have yet to see it at Poo Bah, which is
    usually very good at getting new stuff as
    soon as it's out.