Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Who is Rowan Atkinson?

From: ma3166ay <think!harvard!cmcl2!lanl!unmvax!unmc.cc!ma3166ay>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 86 00:46:57 mdt
Subject: Who is Rowan Atkinson?

> KT update: The guy's name [with whom Kate sang at Comic Relief UK] is
> Rowan Atkinson. If that rings a bell with anyone, could he/she explain?

Rowan Atkinson is one of the members of "Not The Nine O'Clock News", a now-
defunct (I believe) British satire program which, incidentally, was the
inspiration for HBO's "Not Necessarily The News".  "NTNO'CN" is arguably a
good deal better than "Not Necessarily . . .", which says a lot.  RA was
responsible for the many of the show's satire rock-videos, including "I Like
Trucking", "Ayatollah, Don't Come Any Closer", and the classic "Nice Video,
Shame About The Song".

Atkinson apparently has some background in both mime and music, so it's only
natural that he and Kate pair up at Comic Relief UK.  I would give a good deal
to get my hands on a tape of that performance, as Kate is my favorite British
musician and Atkinson is my favorite British comedian.

If you want to see more of Atkinson's stuff, "Not" can be found on many PBS
stations.  He also appeared in The Secret Policeman's Other Ball.  Any other
"jot" fans out there?

"Vote for me, I'm cute!"

.rne.

(Ernie Longmire   {{ purdue cmcl2 ihnp4 } !lanl ucbvax } !unmvax!unmc!ma3166ay)