Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Harmonizers, etc.

From: genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor (The Rev. Thinning Weasel Foliage)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 86 15:08:32 cdt
Subject: Harmonizers, etc.

Excuse me, but the thing that Laurie ANderson runs her voice through
most these days is called a Harmonizer, and it's made by Eventide
CLockworks.  The vocoder superimposes the formant frequencies of
human (or kanga) speech on some other signal, and the Harmonizer
simply allows one to shift the frequency of the incoming signal by
something approaching an octave and a half in either direction. Peter
Gabriel used one when he was touring live after the first record.
He'd use it to sing this little song to his teddy bear sitting on the
piano. The tune showed up on his second album, thought the performance
I saw featured wordless vocals.  [Kate Bush also used one to do the
"Satanic" vocals in "Waking The Witch". -- Doug]

 Greg

"And all the seven heavens showed to me/their magnitudes, their speeds,
the distances/of each from each. The little threshing floor/that so
incites our savagery was all-/from hills to river mouths-revealed
to me..." Dante, Paradiso (XX I,148-152) Gregory Taylor (gtaylor@astroatc)