Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Early SM

From: Robb Leatherwood <Robb-Leatherwood%LADC@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 86 14:52 PST
Subject: Early SM
Randomness: If you cannot convince them, confuse them. --Truman
Reference-Id: <860422210733.499395@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>

I didn't say that New Gold Dream was "Early Simple Minds," only my favorite
SM album, despite the change in style.  Everything before NGD is what I
considered "Early."  The album title you couldn't remember was "Empires
and Dance."  Also, Clearmountain produced "Once Upon a Time" with Jimmy
Iovine, and Lillywhite produced Sparkle.

Speaking of Simple Minds, they just performed in Phoenix and I was rather
impressed.  The Call opened up for them, and Michael Been of tC came out
and sung backup vocals when SM did "Sanctify Yourself."  A friend of mine
who saw them in Tucson the night before said Jim Kerr did backup vocals
when The Call performed "Everywhere I Go."  The Call's set was rather
rough, but enjoyable, especially "The Walls Came Down."  Simple Minds'
set was also good, although they massacred some songs, like "Promised
You a Miracle."  The light show was the best I've ever seen, except
maybe the Fixx's show.  And apparently it was better in Tucson, where
they didn't have to leave out some of the set because of limited space.

Anyway, it's worth the price of the ticket to see them if they come to your
town.  They don't do any old stuff, except "Love Song" as part of an encore
medley, but the stuff they do is very well presented.