Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sound Choice #4

From: CONTROLLED BLEEDING RULES - MOFOS!!!! <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 86 16:39:37 EST
Subject: Sound Choice #4

I been spending the last two weeks digesting this latest issue of Sound
Choice and thought I'd put in a few good words for it addressed to the
open-minded denizens (even you'all out there who won't Admit you read
this digest).  For anyone interested in new music, this is a bible (pleae
fundamentalists, I mean this only figuratively).  It contains hundreds
of records reviews of independent releaes ONLY.  Major labels are not
allowed to advertise or get any space so it's devoid of the usual clutter]
seen in alot of magizines.  This issues, (#4, spring) includes some
hot letters from College radio people, info on publications, contacts
and sources for the independent producer and buyer, an article on creative
mailers, Heavy Mental, Blackhouse, the Berlin scene, Eugene Chadbourne's
memories of the jazz age and a how-to guide on building your own radio
station.  The music covered ranges from New Age to hardcore, electronic
to acoustic, satanic rantings to Stryper, Casio dribble to the cutting
edge of Fairlighting and DX7's.

This is higly reccomended for non-commercial radio station people and
they can recieve  a free copy if they do a show or run a station that
doesn't conform to the college journal playlists (or doesn't subscribe
to them).  Subscribers will eventually recieve surplus recordings as
members of the audio evolution network and a mail/walk-in library is
planned for the future.

I've seen copies in some record stores but if you live out in the
sticks or don't care to go looking - sample copies are available from
POB 1251, Ojai, CA 93023 for $2.50 PPD.

I think this was mentioned once on net.music - but just in case anyone
missed it.

(for recorders and artists out there - the advertising rates are cheap
and anything offered for sale that is sent in will be reviewed and copies
will be retained for the library)

Jim