Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Starless

From: John Kitamura <ihnp4!utcsri!kato>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 86 11:17:01 est
Subject: Starless

> Love-Hounds Digest			    Sunday, April 13, 1986, 22:40
>
> > P.S. My favorite song is still "Starless" by King Crimson.
>
> You mean "Starless and Bible Black"?  Yeah, it's great!  As good a
> choice as any.  But it's not a song.  Or do they have something else
> called just "Starless"?

Yes they do. "Starless and Bible Black" (the album) was recorded mostly
live on the European tour of 73-74 (I think). In fact, the majority of
the album was recorded one night at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam
(which must have been an amazing show). Some overdubs were added later.
(A few songs, like the main part of "Night Watch") are studio recordings)
While on this tour, they fleshed out the song "Starless", of which
the original version can be heard on the "Heretic" boot.
When the touring band disbanded, Fripp et. al. went into the studio
to record their final efforts, which became "Red" (the album).
The song "Starless" is included here, and it too is my favourite King
Crimson track (Fracture is a close second).

By the way, the original version had different lyrics (which are awful -
I'll post them if anyone is interested),
and much of the guitar and saxophones replaced by David Cross' violin.
The studio version has Ian MacDonald on the opening saxophone and
Mel Collins on closing.

		John Kitamura
UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!kato