Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bootlegs redux!

From: rosen@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Rob Rosen)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 86 01:38:09 PST
Subject: Re: Bootlegs redux!

>From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@.ARPA>

>Uh, hi.. I got my bootlegs from Second Coming Records in Cambridge, MA.
>(1105 Massachusetts Ave). This is the only place I've seen them. To date,
>I've picked up:
>
>	Peter Gabriel - Games Without Words
>	Peter Gabriel - Chromedome
>	Genesis (w/PG) - The Bedside Yellow Foam
>	Gabacabriel - Milton Keynes 2nd October 1982
>	Genesis (w/PG) - Swelled and Spent: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway Live
>
>``Milton Keynes'' is a 3 record set. ``Games...'' is demos for PGIII.
>``Chromedome'' is a Gabriel 1982 concert. ``Bedside'' is concert material
>from 1974. ``Swelled'' is obvious.

    I've heard that the Milton Keynes recording is in mono.  There's a
    French 3 record set, recorded sometime between '78 and '80 (it might
    have been the '78 Chicago concert) which I think is also in mono.
    Can anyone confirm?
        Swelled and Spent is a pretty good quality recording.  There are
	some good PG stories on that one.

>Still in their bins are:
>
>	Peter Gabriel - The King of Rhythm (2 record live)
>	Peter Gabriel - Contact! (3 record 1983 Dutch concert!)
>	Peter Gabriel - Ain't That Peculiar?
>	Genesis - A Death in Anytown
>	Genesis - You'll Love Us Live
>	Genesis - The Great Lost Live Album (2 records)
>	Genesis - Revelations 78:80
>	plus assorted 12" singles of wierd stuff.
>
>Hope it was helpful.

     do NOT under any circumstances spend any more than $5 for A Death in
     Anytown!!  It's got to be the worst recording of ANYTHING EVER MADE!!
     Some dork in the back of the Felt Forum recorded the concert while
     sitting in front of these two guys who talk throughout the whole
     thing.  It's actually quite depressing, because I couldn't help
     feeling "here's this GREAT band doing their BEST to present a NEW
     (at that time) MUSICAL EXPERIENCE and no one is paying any attention
     to them, even the people who pay money to see them!!"

     If you can find a '75 disc called "Awed Man Out (1975 British Tour)",
     buy it.  It's a compilation of stuff from the Lamb tour and it has
     an INCREDIBLE 11 or so minute version of "The Waiting Room."  Also
     get "Genesis As Thru Emerald City", another compilation.  Very high
     recording quality with a great version of "The Musical Box" and the
     two classic B sides "Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy the Man."

--Rob

--
		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen