Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Residents and Laurie

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 86 18:12:19 EST
Subject: Residents and Laurie

If you missed Laurie Anderson's appearance on Saturday Night Live on
4/19, you didn't miss much. She did two songs which I didn't recognized,
more funky than most of her other stuff. She played some electronic
keyboard and was obviously running her voice through something (vocoder?)
which lowered her pitch. Also had several backup singers and musicians,
kind of like Laurie Anderson tries to do Remain in Light but with a
stripped-down, less interesting sound. There were also some slides
which were rather uninteresting.

Are the two songs from her new album? I certainly expected much more.
Then again, it took me awhile to get into Big Science, so maybe I should
reserve judgement until I hear her new album. It would be sad to
see another formerly innovative artist go the way of Talking Heads (sigh).

Re: Residents on CD

Certainly a prime reason to start saving up for a CD player:-). Anyway,
from Jim's list of songs on the CDs, I didn't see anything from
Not Available, and only one song from Eskimo. Since these are concept
albums, it's probably difficult to select some "representative" song
without having it sound out of context. Jim, if you don't have Not
Available already and like the Residents, GET IT!!

			"She took along a porcupine
			 whose name was known as knowledge"

			Bill Hsu