Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

DOA / Francis Bacon

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 19 Apr 86 20:59:00 PST
Subject: DOA / Francis Bacon

Yes, the Bloodrock mini-hit was entitled DOA (I don't remember it being quite
so repulsive at it was described.. Then again, in those days I did listen
to music in chemically al;tered states.).

The first Marvick posting was interesting, the second was long winded.  I would
seriously like to ask the question, Doesn't Kate ever write music devoid of
'deep-meaning'.  Granted, we all get thge message concerning Cloudbursting,
and we are aparently informed of its meaning.  How the essay ever got from
Kate's musical tragedy to mention of Francis Bacon and his
tragedy to mention of Francis Bacon (bravo on getting the correct Bacon, here) and his prophetic masterpiece <Novum Organum, The New Atlantis>, eludes me.
Am I missing satire, here.  Or as the nuns of good ole St. Josephs High
kept on telling me, I don't understand artistic symbolism.  To think that
I actually believed that the Scarlet Letter was a story about an innocent
who got knocked up by some preacher, and that the Merchant of Venice was
about a typical loan{shark in the 18th century.  Maybe we should ask the
most important question, if we were to reverse the context of RuTH would
we then have a song about somebody traversing a ski slope afraid to fall?

   "We have harmonies, which you have not, of Quarter sounds
    and lesser slides of sounds.  Diverse instruments of Musick,
    likewise to you unknown, Some sweeter than any you have,
    together with Bells and Rings that are dainty and Sweet ..."
                                  Francis Bacon, 1627 (no shit!)

Roger Bacon was also a cunning linguist,

John

------