Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Depressing music

From: Tavares@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 86 03:45 EST
Subject: Depressing music

I just sucked up 7,000 lines of Love-Hounds tonight, and wasn't able to
read them all on the fly (my eyes are spinning) so if anyone mentioned
this gem already, my apologies.

The most depressing music I ever heard was a song whose title I don't
recall, but I believe the name of the group was "Bloodrock" and it was
popular in New England around 1970 or 1971.  The first time I heard it,
my clock radio popped on early in the morning and regaled me with this
draggy, gory song with a harmony line that was reminiscent of European
emergency klaxons, supposedly being sung by an airplane crash victim who
was describing the carnage surrounding him on the ground, the twisted
people and metal, his girl lying a short distance away, dead with her
eyes open.

Imagine waking up to this.

After the shock had abated, I pounded the radio and went back to sleep.
When I woke back up, I was positive I had had a f*g incredible
nightmare.  ("Nobody could possibly play something so revolting on
commercial radio.") The second time I heard it I almost ran off the road
(I thought I was having bad flashbacks).

Well, this sucker stayed "popular" for over a month, and then
disappeared forever.  It's a clean bet, though, that I have NEVER heard
this played on a "golden oldies" station!  (I'd request it in my darker
moods, but I don't know the name!)

                                   Say, I've been saving those parity bits.
                                   So when's the DRAWING??
                                   I've got "1".