Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest

From: 666 - the anti-brain <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 86 8:21:26 EST
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest

Various people write:::::

>But the fact of the matter is that FNX just plays *different* drivel over
>and over again.  Example:  About four months ago I had heard Camper Van
>Beethoven on WFMU (just outside NYC).  When I got back to Boston, I
>called FNX and requested "Take the Skinheads Bowling" by CVB.  Not only
>did the DJ not play it, the guy who took my call was snotty and
>condescending.  My guess is that since the Boston Phoenix hadn't
>reviewed it yet (have they by *now*?) and since nobody in the band had
>been in the "new wave" scene c.1980 (e.g., Fine Audio Cannabals, Big
>Young Dynamite, General Difford & Tilbrook Public), they weren't worth a
>serious listen.  So what *really* has happened is that there is a new
>pack of critical and airplay favorites.  No "ALTERNATIVE".
			     >Penn Jacobs
}From: nessus (Doug Alan)
}Subject: WFNX

}Yeah, WFNX can really piss me off sometimes.  I once called to request
}a song that had just been released.  They didn't have it yet, but the
}DJ told me "Don't worry -- if it's good, we'll play it."  Right!
}WFNX plays *everything* that is good.  i.e.  If WFNX doesn't play it,
}it isn't good.  Right!
}
}I still listen to WFNX more than any other station.  Oh to have
}WHFS....

Actually from your above description the two sound very similar. i.e. one
geek music director gets hundreds of releases each week, reads Billboard
and maybe NME - finds from the major label outlets what he should be pushing
(in order to keep them record ads a'coming) - chooses 5 or 6 records, pockets
the money from selling the rest (or maybe buys a couple "hot" import singles).
Most of the music directors (as in college) are obnoxious geeks interested
only finding out how to make money off of music.  (They call it "playing
the game")  In the case of Camper Van Beetoveen, get them
a release on CBS, and the right attitude (i.e. sound spiteful towards their
label while sucking the nipple) , and a couple of haircuts and t-shirts
and FNX and HFS will be slobbering over the vinyl!  (Wait!  CVB already has
an attitude!)  The few indies they do play are usually unoffensive drivel
played in the name of tokenism, I mean I listened to HFS back in /83 when
bands like Circle Jerks were getting airplay only because they made a medly of
ridiculous top 40 sendups.

Ya' see, Penn, CVB released on an indie
label - one which don't have the $GELDER$ to play the corporate commercial radio
game.  Doug has heard HFS in its older days (bethesda) when they had some DJ's
(J. Walker, Mitch PArker, Milo) who really cared about music, so much that they
spent their salarys on buying releases that the director had locked up or sold
off in order to play a representive sample of "new" music.  Also, HFS will play
some new stuff late at night - usually where they put the DJ's who don't tow
the station manager's line, anyway.

They're as much as the establishment as they don't want you to believe they
aren't. There's usually some sort of inverse rule there when dealing with
commercial entities I think.  When they do play an indie it's only after the hip
 have  truly nodded and the major labels are making serious advances towards the
 band or as a gesture of tokenism.

The bottom line is money and always will be money.

You wanna shake these bastards up?  Organize a fund drive to increase WFMU's
wattage so it can reach from Phillie up to Boston.

Better yet just shoot them all.

"you better listen to the voice of the hand that feeds you/
 they don't give you any choice 'less they think that you need them/
  So you had better do as you are told
 You better listen to your radio"   - Elvis C (NOT DELBURNOUT McSELLOUT)

		"I'd tune into some friendly voices,
		 talking 'bout stupid things"

"Turn yer radio on/ ... get in touch with God/ turn your radio on"

"Thou shall not make graven images unto me"