Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mike Oldfield

From: ma3166ay <think!harvard!cmcl2!lanl!unmvax!unmc.cc!ma3166ay>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 86 23:57:59 mst
Subject: Mike Oldfield

From: Vince Mora (c/o Ernie Nibble whatever etc.)

Really-from: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>
>"The complete [Mike Oldfield] sounds like a "Best of..." which would make
>it much less interesting.  Is there anything new on these that I am
>missing?

"The Complete Mike Oldfield" contains various new and unreleased material.
For starters, "Crime Of Passion" and "Jungle Gardenia", originally from
a 1983 12" single, are on this album, as well as the extended version to
"Shadow On The Wall"; remixed excerpts from "Tubular Bells", "Hergest
Ridge", "Ommadawn" and "Incantations" (remixed to bring out musical points
and subtleties missed on the original albums); and four unreleased excerpts
from live performances in 1981, 1982, 1983 & 1984, which I might add are
exceptional.  The rest of the double album is made up of various selections
from his past, including his chart-hitters (Mistake, Moonlight Shadow).
(p.s. Hard-to-find material, such as the singles "Waldberg (The Peak)" and
the theme to the "Blue Peter" children's TV show are also on "TCMO".)

If you're a true Oldfield enthusiast, this album is a must.  The album
itself contains a brief musical biography of Mike, following his progress
with each album of his career.  (The album cover, also, is striking to
look at.)

Finally, I would be grateful to hear from any and all Oldfield addicts
around here -- voice your comments, questions and scoops!

                      "I can see there's gonna be a message from afar"
                                           Vince Mora