Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Upcoming releases, and a question for LH-land

From: FULIGIN%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Peter E. Lee)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 86 01:15:15 EST
Subject: Upcoming releases, and a question for LH-land

The following domestic (US) release dates are culled from the latest issue
of the College Media Journal (LP titles included where posted) :

Jazz Butcher - April 11 on Big Time records (god, I wish I knew if it were
   new or a re-isssue, but at least some JB will be available in the USA)
Sioxsie & The Banshees - April 21, Geffen records (Tinseltown, I assume)
The Smiths - "The Queen Is Dead", out in March on Sire/WB
Peter Gabriel - May 5, on Geffen (I assume this is what Joe heard rumours of)
Soundtrack - "Brazil" on MCA, May 14
Red Box - on Sire, due May 19

And now a question for you new-music afficianados :
     In late december, a single came into our station from a band called
"Abacedarians".  It's called "Smiling Monarchs" b/w "Benway's Carnival".
I've been playing it just about every week since then - it's one of the few
new 'synth' records I've really loved in awhile.  It features a level of
energy which is rare for the genre, and really crawls into your brain, without
being or sounding like every other dance record.  The possible influences
that come to mind are The Units, circa "Digital Stimulation", and some
Ultravox, notably the 12" of "Love's Great Adventure".  Anyway, it came in
in December from Factory (we get record service from Factory UK, Himilayas,
and Benelux) with no word about the band.  It was only last month that our
local (usually exceptional) record store could find it on any order forms.
Has anybody else heard this thing anywhere else?  Does anyone know anything
about the band?  Any info would be greatly appreciated...