Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

words as precision instruments, and erotic music

From: ihnp4!uokvax!emjej
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 86 16:18:53 cst
Subject: words as precision instruments, and erotic music

> From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
> If robert fripp said [Abba are "very, very good" at what they do], you
> can be assured he meant it. He is one of the few people I;ve talked to,
> beside gtaylor, who talks in a very consice fashion with very few
> spurious words, or stupid trite talk.

Exactly!  Such people are a joy to listen to and, if they write thus,
which Fripp does judging by what little of his writings I've read, they
are a joy to read as well.  Superfluous profanity from people too lazy
to seek out the mot juste becomes unbearably boring in short order.

About erotic music...hmmm...a friend tells me that there's a King Crimson
track that was written expressly to accompany a section of *Emmanuelle*,
but somehow it didn't strike me as erotic.  Perhaps I'm strange, but I
could spend an evening just looking at my SO with some of the Clerkes of
Oxenford's records on (notably the "Puer Natus Est" mass of Tallis--yes,
I know...:-).  Closer to home for love-hounds and speaking of Fripp, if
"Mary" at the end of *Exposure* were longer, I'd choose it instead.  I
may be confusing eroticism with beauty, but that's the way it goes.

						James Jones