Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

With Respect To Larry Roberts ...

From: James B Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 86 7:58:27 EST
Subject: With Respect To Larry Roberts ...

I hereby post this here concert review in no other electronic form other
than love-hounds so he won't have to read it anywhere else  (except in
the printed word medium)

Tex and the Horseheads / Kraut / Token Entry @ the Eutaw Clubhouse, 4/4/86

The bass player had long fingers and played well with and off the drummer
who looked like he didn't really give a fuck.  The guitar was along for the
ride cranked into reverb fuzz.  And the singer sang her guts out.  At first
I thought she was afraid of being in front of the crowd.  But when they played
the song that alot of people had heard on the local "progressive" commercial
station, the kids started slamming and the band relaxed. A guy next to me who
had never been to a show with slamming was amazed.  I told him the dancers
were not really that wild nor were there that many dancers.  Not being as
intimidated as he by the slammers, I went up to the stage and stood close
to the bass player.  Up front you could tell what Tex and Vodka were saying
in-between songs.  Yeah, up front was where it was at.  Stay close to rhythm
section.  This bassist is something to be heard.  He knows his shit, man and
that drummer is in touch with dynamics.  Soon after Tex had warmed up to the
audience - she really started belting out songs from "Life's So Cool," a
recording which I don't have so I can't really say too much about the songs
except they sounded like good rock with touches of thrash and country in for
good taste.  They play country drinking songs, hardcore ballads and tell
stories and can thrash beyond most other "thrash" bands.

I missed most of Kraut and was pissed when I got back and they were playing
their last three songs.  More than that - I was suprised as to how good they
sounded.  Now they have a guitarist who can play and isn't afraid to take
lead.  Combined with a really competent singer and fast rhythm, it makes for
premier rock music.  I went up to the guitarist (late of the UK Subs) and
complimented him twice, he played so damn good.  Stevie Ray ought to be
waiting in line to touch this guy.  Hendrix's ghost is probably his groupie.

Token Entry played but sounded so unoriginal and generic compared to their
predecessors that we left.