Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Early Plain Brains/Sparkle in the Drain

From: ROBB LEATHERWOOD <ROBB-LEATHERWOOD%LADC@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 86 17:15 PST
Subject: Early Plain Brains/Sparkle in the Drain
Randomness: What one believes to be true either is true or becomes true. --John Lilly

I thought Sparkle in the Rain was a great U2 album.  Too bad U2 didn't do
it.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked the album, but it just WASN'T
Simple Minds.  "The Kick Inside of Me" is one of my favorite songs ever,
but not one of my favorite Simple Minds songs, if you know what I mean.
"Sparkle in the Rain" is to Simple Minds what 90125 is to Yes:  A good
album by the wrong group.  Also, when I spoke of "Early" Simple Minds,
I meant pre-New Gold Dream.  New Gold Dream was their best album, in my
humble opinion, but their earlier stuff was better than their last three
(NGD, SitR, and Once Upon a Time) overall.  My absolute favorite Simple
Minds song ever is "Kaleidoscope" from their "Celebration" greatest hits
album.  Apparently it isn't on any standard album.  I haven't seen it at
least.  This message has not been a flame, but rather a clarification of
thoughts.  Simple Minds are coming to Phoenix this Sunday with The Call
and I plan to see them.

Speaking of The Call, has anyone noticed how much some songs off of their
newest album "Reconciled" sound like recent Simple Minds?  Curious thatt
this is so, but it should've been expected with Jim Kerr singing on the
album and Michael Been singing on "Once Upon a Time..."

** Rambling off **