Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

NOT a first note from some net-wanker

From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 86 07:07:25 est
Subject: NOT a first note from some net-wanker

Subtitled: Sick and worthless drivvel, but its drivvel.

First of all:  "Can Garbage be Sly ??"  I'm not sure.

Second of all:  I really get fed up with the wanker-ness of this present
drivel floating through my screen every morning.  About half I find useful,
the rest, well, forget it.

Ectacsy is for wimps, yuppies, and geeks.  Do real drugs instead. If you
really want to get off, do real chemicals.

Q: What Happen to Regressive Aid ???
A: HA HA HA I Know and you people MISSED THEM !!! which means they
toured !!

Gone/Painted Willie/Scream/Black Flag/St. Augistine's School/ 4/4
Drug of the Evening: some blotter bought off the street.

St. Augustine's school is your run of the mill elementry school,
perfect for this show (ie mentality of the audience is about that
level).  While the old folks (people over 30) played Bingo next door,
we cranked to some of the best Metal in years.  GONE features (ready
boys and girls) Gregg Ginn of Black Flag on Guitar, and Sim Cain and
Andrew (damn, left the tour notes at home) playing drums and bass,
previously with the band Regressive Aid !!! ha ha ha.  They were pretty
awesome, I thought Larry Penis-face would be there, since this trio
played only instrumentals.  There 20+ minutes of jamming included parts
of the song 'Rock and Roll'.  You remember that one, don't you ?? Yea,
that's why I was looking for Larry.

Painted Willie was so-so. I hit the liquor  store for some beer and sat
out with some winos killing time before Scream showed up.  Hot and
heavy as usual.  Read some of the latest Henry Rollins book "Polio
Flesh" between sets.  good reading. All the little boys and girls were
mad because this wasn't punk rock. awwwww. too bad.  Most of the Black
Flag material was from "In My Head" and "Loose Nut".   Quote of the
evening from Henry "Hey man, don't fight. If you fight you'll smash
your face up and then you can't pose anymore".

Robyn Hitchock and the Egyptians/Morning Glories/3/28
Drug of the evening: Mushrooms

Of course I made the mistake of eating these suckers while waiting for
tickets, and almost blew the trip in line.  Of course as soon as I was
moving, I started running into all these people I haven't seen in
awhile, like Labovitz and my presnt editor, who thought I lost my
mind.  Well, I did, kinda.  Morning Glories, featuring Mitch Parker,
were primo and impressed.  Of course Robyn was Robyn, he was good, they
plyed tight, and his stories had my head spinning.  Was it his shirt
that was doing this to me or what ??? Couldn't focus on too much when I
was leaving, my head kept spinning.

Subject: Depressing music
  I agree with Greg and Allyn, you need to be in a depressed mood to find
music depressing.  However, the music can have a depressing tone, but
that's besides the point.

Subject: Abba
For all you abba fans, check out the Meatmen's song "Abba, God, and Me"
  For all you abba fans, check out the Meatmen's song "Abba, God, and Me"
off of "War of the Superbikes".  Pretty much sezs it all.

Subject: George Clinton:
  I've got this picture on my wall of George with Marie Osmond. They
both record for Capital Records or something.  Looks great though, and
he is pretty intense.  He said awhile ago in spin they did the entire
Atomic Dog album in twelve hours on two or three hits of yellow
sunshine.

RE: The state of pop
  Pop Music is a state of being.  People who think pop music sucks
because it's pop music should be castrated and have body organs hung
from meat hooks in public.  Musical snobs are dickheads, who only think
there music is the best and eveything else sucks.  People who listen to
the mainstream stations believe this (if they have any concepts of
their own).  The flak I here from people who don't listen to what I do
is "why are all the psuedo-art fags always putting me down because I
don't listen to what they do ?? " Good point.  What also gets me going
are these people who think there god is some band who they listen to
and whine about forever.  Bands like Led Zep and Rush and KB come to
mind as people who have this undying flatuation to protect their
favorite stars and at the same time protect their own fragile egos
since they believe what they listen to and believe is the best. Kinda
stupid if you ask me, but then again, I'm one of those dickheads. (ohh,
and all that bad language too, I must be an immature dickhead !!).
However, what really gets me going is people who PUT down other people
because they don't listen to their music.  Sometime who really cares
??

Favorite Doug Alan Quote: "Well, if the music is art-rock or has
artistic merit I usually like it. If it doesn't I really don't find it
very good"  (not an exact quote, but close enough to get the point
across).

I guess this means if Rush started talking about 20th century french
painters and quoting romanticist poets then they would be good, right
??  If the following is correct, then we can assume this.  Most pop
shit is probably some Lionel-Ritchie type tring to make some dollars.
However, I never hear the music you all are whining about, I have put
myself in  a situation where I can never hear it unless dire
circumstances.  Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me, I made myself
unaccessable to these so-called pop stations.  You do that, and you
remove the things that bother you.

>From: Chris Yoder
>Overplay - If I hear the same song or album too often I get sick of it.  I
>	managed to upset my office-mate by suggesting that we listen to
>	something other than Kate Bush for a while...If you don't
>	believe me, I dare you to listen to one album day in and day out
>	for a month.  If you last more than a week of this kind of abuse
>	I'd be amazed!

I did, but not recently, but a few years ago.  I used to listen to Minor
Threat's "Out of Step" every morning on my way to school. It took me 20
minutes by bicycle to ride there, which was about the length of the
album.  I did this for about three months, and I still lived to talk
about it.  It's all in the state of mind you have.

>Snobbishness - Now here's a big one.  Actually, I think that it could be a need
>	to be different or just to be on the leading edge, but whatever it's
>	feels good to know more than the next slob.

Who wakes up in the morning and says "I think I'll be artistic today
??" If you do you probably fooling yourself more than you'll admit.

>From: Mark Woodruff  <WOODRUFF%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
>Re: Abba
>I've never liked this group, even though Robert Fripp insists that they are
>"very, very good" at what they do.

If robert fripp said that, you can be assured he meant it. He is one of
the few people I;ve talked to, beside gtaylor, who talks in a very
consice fashion with very few spurious words, or stupid trite talk.
Fripp is not a person to engage in stupid conversation, or to sit there
and say "yea, I hate Madonna becasue she won't give me any."

>>Dougbo:
>> Re: Abba
> I've never liked this group, even though Robert Fripp insists that
> they are "very, very good" at what they do.
>
>Well, what does Robert Fripp know!  He can be a real jerk sometimes.
>But I guess ABBA must have had some talent, because the songwriters
>from ABBA did the music for some recent Broadway play ("Chess?" --
>"Another Night In Bangcock" was from it), and the music was okay.
>ABBA sucked however.

Doug thinks he's a Jerk because he doesn't sitr around talking about the
past and saying "yea, that art rock was great stuff." Instead he sits
there and says "Art Rock was the most *Pompus* and boring type of music
ever done.  People who played art rock (back in late-60's earlies 70's)
were under-intelligent simians who had no concept for art, and the
people who listened to it who egotistical morons who could only increase
their egos by claimning they understood what art-rock was all about."
This seems to up set Mr. Alan, since he believes that art-rock is the
only thing that's left to save the free world.  I happen to believe Mr.
Fripp though, many people who sit around talking about different types
and sounds of musical quality and the amount of artistic quality of
music are just performing mental masturbation.  The problem was bands
decided to make money off these easily-fooled morons.

Subject: Madonna

Yea, everybody has put down Madonna because she's got this thing she
peddles called sex.  In the second Henry Rollins book, he had a great
poem entitled "Madonna". In his latest work he defends her for reasons I
can't understand.  It's over two pages long.  I am not going to type it
in, but I am making copies of it, and already sending doug, jimh, and
chris a copy of it.  Talk to me if you think you want one.

Subject: Thomas Dolby

Doesn't he play on Robyn Hitchock's "Black Snake Diamond Role" ?? I just
noticed that this weekend when I was taping it for a friend.

Husker Du:
HAs anyone heard the new Husker Du single "I Don't want to know if you
are lonely" ??  I'm interested in the B-Side, a live version of "Helter
Skelter". wow.

I know's there's more, but I'm running out of caffiene, so like your
saved until I get the energy to attack again

tim