Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Rejoinder, rejoinder

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 86 22:46:35 EST
Subject: Rejoinder, rejoinder

> [Mark Woodruff:]

> When I said earlier that I'm not overly impressed with [KB's] music, I
> meant that.  Although some of her music is quite good, I simply had
> to respond to the absolute, overwhelming praise that had been
> expressed so far.  No artist deserves the unqualified praise she's
> received in this little digest.

What do you expect from a Kate Bush fanzine?  "Kate Bush is sort of
okay"?  I don't go to net.music.gdead and say "The Grateful Dead don't
deserve all this idol worship".

But *my* praise for Kate Bush certainly isn't absolute.  Not
*everything* she has done is perfection.  I'm not particularly fond of
"Babooshka" or "Wow".  I think the video for "Them Heavy People" is
silly.  I think that the songs "Hounds of Love" and "Watching You
Without Me" could be better.  On the hand, there is much stuff of hers
that I think is complete perfection.  The entire album "The Dreaming".
The songs "Breathing", "Moving", "Waking The Witch", "Jig of Life",
"Mother Stands Comfort", etc.  And I feel that overall she's the best
and most significant artist of the 80's.  Perhaps no artist deserves
to be called "the best", but if anyone does, then Kate's as good a bet
as any.

> Meanwhile, has anyone heard of a band called Japan?

Yeah.  In fact, I just got David Sylvian's "Brilliant Trees".  I'm not
incredibly wild about it (yet?), however.

> P.S. My favorite song is still "Starless" by King Crimson.

You mean "Starless and Bible Black"?  Yeah, it's great!  As good a
choice as any.  But it's not a song.  Or do they have something else
called just "Starless"?

(I hear a dissenter's voice in the background.  What that he's saying?
...  "Where's the melody and harmony?  It's all disonance and strange
rhythm changes just for the sake of disonance and strange rhythm
changes.  More disonace doesn't and more rhythm changes don't make a
better piece of music!")

			"She responds like a limousine
			 Brought alive on the silent screen
			 To the shuddering breath of yesterday..."

			 Doug