Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "that's the way of the world"

From: allynh@calder.berkeley.edu (Allyn Hardyck)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 86 23:57:04 PST
Subject: Re: "that's the way of the world"

a) Earth, Wind and Fire
b) Flipper

Jesus and Mary Chain / Saqqara Dogs / Slovenly @ the Stone, SF, 4/2

Missed Slovenly, but from the outside they didn't sound too interesting.

Saqqara Dogs was a real surprise - I'll seriously be looking for some
vinyl from them.  They wove a stream of notes held into feedback for
minutes, excellent stick playing, and the use of tabla and other unusual
percussion instruments.  Sort of latter-day King Crimsonish.
Slide show too.

The Reid bros. and company actually FACED the audience, but anything
resembling audience acknowledgement was not apparent.  The drummer
looked like a petulant (and vaguely conscious) Clem Burke - not too
rhythmic is he?  I didn't see a blender on stage,
and they weren't very loud (in fact Jim was always asking things to be
turned up).  His guitar never worked, and only gave a few abortive
strums on it.  For a second there a lot of people were sure that they had
forgotten they'd just played "Just Like Honey" when they followed that with
"Sowing Seeds".  Jim then started staggering around on stage a bit with the
mike and stand, dropping it on the floor.

The local NBC affiliate had a camera through the crowd during the show -
couldn't figure out why until later.  Then suddenly after one song, the
stagehands started closing the curtains saying thanks for coming etc...
some thought it was because the boys had been fucking up the stagefloor
with the mike thing, but then Jim came forward and basically motioned that
they would do one more song - so the show's ending was out of their hands
for a change!  Turned out that the club lost it's after-hours license
(ergo the TV people) and was forced to sweep everyone out by 11.
One woman got roughed by the bouncers in extremis - bleeding mouth
and went across the street to bring 3 of SF's finest over for
a confrontation.  Then I went back to Berkeley where I watched my
friends getting dragged off by their hair and elbows and jawbones,
and people getting clubbed and shoved...  joy.  but I digress.

"and all the sausages that dance like Ray Bolger on the hood of a car in a
traffic jam" - missed those guys last monday at the I-Beam damn...

allyn