Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A hoot, a snoot and the chutes

From: James B Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 86 14:44:37 EST
Subject: A hoot, a snoot and the chutes

>Date: Tue, 1 Apr 86 11:33:49 est
>From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>Subject: New York, London, Paris, Munich, everybody's talkin' 'bout Pop Music!

>I happen to think I have pretty eclectic tastes in music, but that won't
>stop me from going out and buying a copy of The Hooters' "Nervous Night"
>just because it's "popular"... and it won't stop me from saying I'd
>rather listen to Prince than the Butthole Surfers any day.

First off, "Nervous Nights" was engineered with the sole intent of making
the Hooters a household name - if you think you like that Hooters sound
find their indie release called Amore' and listen to it!  It's a hell
of alot better than "Nervous Nights".  If you followed any of CBS's scams
you'd known that CBS engineers all their new groups to sound like their
most current, popular artist - in this case, Bruce Springsteen.  The
Hooters packed a double commercial whammy in that Cyndi Lauper had covered
a bunch of their songs.

[maybe I misinterpreted what you meant:  were you saying you liked
"Nervous Nights" or what?]

Second, I'll take BOTH Prince and the Surfers any day.  I've never said
just because an artist has what is conceived to be a mersh sound that
I wouldn't like them.  I think the Purple One has alot more in common
with the B-hole than you think, Joe, in that he basically built his
career on his own merit and didn't let anyone from Warner Bros come in
and say, here, you have to sound this way in order to sell or you can't
make a song about incest  if you want to be a top radio star.  I can't
really say the same for the Hooters unfortunately - and being from the
Phillie area, I go way back with The Hooters (they played at a multi-school
party back in '79 - they're still doing pretty much the same songs btw,
Zombies and Amore' etc etc)

Speakin' of pop music, I got the new Husker lp and Tim's right but you
don't need drugs to enjoy this - I'd say it has even a less commercial
sound than Flip Your Wig although it has to slow, percussionless songs.
I also noticed it was LONGer than the usual - maybe this is their way
for making up for the jacked up price (I paid 6.50 for FyW by mail and
7.99 for Candy Apple Grey at the store).  As for skipping - no problems
but the second side label seems to be falling off - I've got a two week
warranty on it so it's no beeg deal, senor.