Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pop music

From: think!harvard!bu-cs!sam
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 86 10:50:46 EST
Subject: Pop music

>		Totally Wired
>		PO Box 41002
>		Philadelphi, PA ?????

Well, Philadelphia has got an A at the end, and if you try 19001 as a
zip code, it may get there.

----------------------

>From: Joe Turner <cutter%umass-boston.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

>..."Rio" and "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" by DURAN DURAN!!

I like Duran Duran, too, Joe, but usually only when I'm out
dancing, or in a particularly wild mood.  I'm not sure that they
have an overwhelming amount of "musical integrity", and I wouldn't
put a poster of them on my wall.  What was the last huge hit they
had that had such a neat video?

>There is a fine line between "pop" and
>"alternative", and most of the time it's a very blurry line. I hated
>U2 with a passion because they were "popular" and "everybody" was
>listening to them. Then I actually sat down and listened to some of
>their stuff, and liked it. Same for Bruce Springsteen! Same for Duran
>Duran!

Another thing is something some other people brought up...the problem
of overplay.  I mean, all of us Bostonians like FNX, right?  Well,
basically, a lot of the stuff they play, they just play FIRST.  I
remember they used to play "Face the Face" by Pete Townshend all the
time, and then it became top 40 (more like top 10). And more recently,
"Manic Monday" which can be heard in 10 minutes if you put on any top 40
station.  This is not to say I think "alternative stations" can play
anything and still retain their good reputation.  I woke up one morning
to "Sweetest Taboo" by Sade on my clock radio and assumed my boyfriend
had changed the station.  I nearly died when I found out it really *was*
FNX.  BARF!  But still,  I think that being "snobby" is really only
hurting yourself when it comes to music.  I like Madonna, I also like
Tchaikovsky, and I like the Hoodoo Gurus.

>I happen to think I have pretty eclectic tastes in music, but that won't
>stop me from going out and buying a copy of The Hooters' "Nervous Night"
>just because it's "popular"... and it won't stop me from saying I'd
>rather listen to Prince than the Butthole Surfers any day.

I already have "Nervous Night"...and I liked the Hooters back when
they were a nothing local Philly band.  Thus proving that the world
is round.

            --Shelli