Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

movies

From: James B Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 86 8:12:10 EST
Subject: movies

Even though this is to be a forum on music, here's
some of my fave flicks ... i'll keep it short.

Brazil:  I only go to about 2 or 3 theater movies a year.
I went twice to this one.

M:  Old, German film with Peter Lorre as the psychotic
child-killer.  Asks alot of questions about justice and
law and the only answer is "we must watch our children
more closely"

Amadaus:  I saw this on Broadway with a very, famous rock
star in the lead role.  It's too bad he couldn't do the
movie but it still stands on its own with Tim Hulce.  However,
the Emporer Joe is really funny:  (describing a piece
of music): "Well, there you have it ... too many notes!"

Key Largo:  I know the violins can get sappy - but what
more can ask for in a movie!:  The Bogie plays a disgruntled
war vet, Lauren Bacall is at her most sensous (and look, ma,
no nudity or even SEX!) and Edgar G. Robinson is at his
most slimiest - one of the most odious characters I've
ever come across in movies.

El Norte:  Says ALOT about the American Dream as seen through
the eyes of two idealistic Guatamalian Indians.  It's more
"depressing" than Joy Division to watch their dreams get
crushed and they are powerless to do anything except reaffirm
their own close, human bonds.

As for other,newer movies (with some exceptions) I think
Squeeze says it best for me with: "But all I get is bitter
and a nasty little rash ... it's cool for cats."