Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ittatc!sii!mem
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 86 04:18:39 est

This afternoon's love-hounds mailing (direct) contained some proposals
for a get-together lunch on March 26.  Considering that today is March
26, the timing wasn't quite right.  Might I suggest that next time, you
consider the propagation involved and schedule a little in advance?
There is a small possibility that I would go, representing the older
and more cantankerous generation.

An on that vein, depressing songs?  Some old Simon and Garfunkel music
is classically gloomy, ditto for Joan Armatrading.  But I agree with
yj arnold in finding bouncy music with cynical lyrics particularly
attractive.  The whole China Crisis/Possible Pop Songs(II) album fits
that category.  It is so light and snappy that the gloom hardly gets
a chance to sink in.  "she dreams of leaving, drives past her friends,
the rain fell so heavy she could not see me there/ she dreams of
leaving, and i dream of her", for instance.

I also like music that sets a somber tone; gives you some hints and lets
you supply some of your own depression, such as this (again with
upbeat music) bit of folkstuff from Cindy Kallet (i hear the shrieks
as you all shrivel away at the word "folk"):

	Come run to the edge of the field with me love,
	Take in the evening's breath
	If I felt like I was living,
	Why do I think so much of death?
	Away in a dream and a summer's gone
	And I'm lying in the sand,
	Waiting for the sun to rise
	And reaching for your hand.
	As it is, I'm falling, with my dreams to the ground
	As it is, I'm falling all around.

-mm-

(some tricks of the light you never know)