Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various and Sundry Topics ...

From: ia-sun2!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu (Greg Earle)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 86 22:42:22 pst
Subject: Various and Sundry Topics ...

I'll try tying up a few loose Love-Hounds ends here, but first, the
really important stuff.

CONCERT REVIEW
--------------
Who: EXECUTIVE SLACKS
What: 1st West Coast appearance ever for E.S.
Where: Spirit Club, San Diego, CA Wed. 3/26
Why: We didn't find out they were playing LA shows until too late, so
we had to go to S.D. to make sure we didn't miss them.
How Many: Band members.  Entourage.  Back-up band members.  Their entourages.
Club employees & barmaids.  2 guys from SDSU KCR radio.  And us (3).
That's it.  Total ~20.

Executive Slacks are the Best F***ing Band in the Entire F***ing Western
Hemisphere.  Period.

Any comparisons are meaningless, and laughable.  (I was already coming
down off the killer Ecstasy we took before we got there, so this is not
drug induced raving.)  End of review.

UPCOMING CONCERT OF THE DECADE
------------------------------
Saturday 3/29.
Anti-Club, LA.
Last Days of the Anti-Club (Closing end-of-the-month)

EXECUTIVE SLACKS
YOUTH BRIGADE
Who-gives-a-fuck-who-else
If you live near L.A. and see this in time, be there or be square.

STRANGEST CONCERT BILLING IN MY LENGTHY MEMORY
- Jesus and Mary Chain
- Specimen
- Butthole Surfers

Coming to the Santa Monica Civic, Sun. 3/30.

LATEST AND GREATEST ON THOMAS DOLBY
-----------------------------------
Not that I care, but since you do ...
T.D. is scoring the movie version of the famous cartoon "Howard The Duck",
shooting in San Francisco.  he also appears in the movie, sporting a goatee.
This quoted from the L.A. Times.

** SPECIAL MOVIE NOTE **
------------------------
Watch for the release of a thrilla called "Out Of Bounds" - shot in Hollywierd
using Punx as Xtras.  There is a scene which was filmed at the (now defunct)
roving club, the Dirtbox (about three blocks from my abode) which features
none other than Siouxsie and The Banshees, farmed in specifically for the
filming to perform "Cities In Dust" before the assembled masses (including
Yers Truly - we got PAID for this!!!).  Rumor had it that Sioux and th' boys
had expressed an interest in playing a Real Live Gig there when they come
back, but natchally $$$ won out, and instead we get the Conventional Venue
shows at the Palladium and the (F***ing Mini Stadium) Irvine Meadows Ampli.

LAST WORD IN DEPRESSION
-----------------------
(*** Warning!  Mini-flame approaching!  Danger Will Robinson! ***)
There is no song mentioned that is anywhere near as depressing as listening
to people call music that I find inspiring and elating "depressing" .....
Just because some mu-wank criticks call music "gloom and doom" or
"depressing", do ya hafta fall in line behind them with the cliche's?
There is no "depressing" music, only depressed *people* who let music strike
them that way ... (Mini-flame off)

PAISLEY UNDERGROUND
-------------------
The 'Paisley Underground' began and ended with The Salvation Army LP and
"Mind Gardens/Happen Happened" 7" .....
(BTW, you can still git TSA LP under the guise of "Before Three O'Clock" (ick))

CHAMELEONS
----------
Second LP is very similar to the first - get it, you'll like it .....

SUDDEN (sic) DEATH CULT
-----------------------
The Southern Death Cult was a completely different band to the present (nee
Death) Cult.  If you like "Love", I doubt if you'll like "The Southern Death
Cult" elpee ...  I'm waiting for them to find out that they're almost at the
point of stadium rock stardom, but the 'Cult' name turns Muddle Amurika off.
Then watch the name change to just 'The' :-)  ..... Speaking of 'The':

THE THE - PREHISTORY
--------------------
The reissue of the Matt Johnson "Burning Blue Soul" LP is a remixed travesty.
The original is one of the most original records ever (so there, Sue) and
makes mincemeat out of "Soul Mining" ...  Cover's great too (not reissue) ...

THE BITTEREST PiL
-----------------
What's with the sudden L-H fascination with the new PiL?  Lydon puts out the
most embarrasing record of his career, filled with HM crap licks from Steve
Die (sic), gets a buncha BOFs to fill in the gaps, and suddenly there's all
this talk ... Vai couldn't hold Keith Levene's guitar picks.  Sheesh, I may
be getting to Old Fart age myself (New topic - OLDEST L-H subscriber - me
first, I'm 27 - can you beat?), but the beginning of the first PiL L.A.
show with Lydon-Levene-Wobble-Atkins was, like, in ultra-cosmic territory.
New LP just makes me wanna barf ...

DEAD CAN DANCE INFO
-------------------
DCD started in Australia in 1981 or 2-ish.  Eventually expanded to a
7 piece lineup; moved to England late '83.  Sporadic gigs.  You know about
the 2 LPs; make sure you get the in-between "Garden Of The Arcane Delights"
12" before it disappears ...  Personnel on "DCD" LP and 12" was the same;
unfortunately, in the long lull between "GOTAD" and "Spleen And Ideal",
Brendan and Lisa got power-hungry and decided to can everybody else.
So "Spleen and Ideal" is basically the two of them plus assorted side folks
(like the trombonists - still haven't really warmed to that stuff yet).
You don't have to like the Cocteau Twins to like DCD, but it helps. :-)
BTW, I'll say it again - first DCD LP was my absolute Fave of 1984.  So,
considering how many LPs flow through my greedy little paws per annum, THAT
should tell you something ...

Ta Ta, kiddies ...

	-Greg
	sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle (UUCP)