Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Serious study concerning mood and choice of music.

From: "ROSSI J.A." <rossi@nusc.ARPA>
Date: 27 Mar 86 10:50:00 PST
Subject: Serious study concerning mood and choice of music.

Hello Again,

After reading the digest today, I was provoked into thinking about life,
mood, and the type of music I have been listening to recently.  It occurred
to me that I have been playing some awfully depressing stuff lately, many
things from the list I sent especially, Leonard Cohen.  Also, I have been
very depressed recently.  Now, from a strictly behavioral viewpoint, it
is scientifically interesting as to what influences our choice of music
that we listen to.  Further, as I know of no studies of these type effects,
I have decided to conduct a small survey of peoples attitudes as to what
influences their choice of music.  Granted, I am now reaching a population
which has some pretty distinct variations from the norm, but it is a pop-
ulation which shares an interest in music.  Actually, I believe that this
EMAIL idea is unique (anybody know of any real science conducted via EMAIL ?
If so let me know, also) and warrants consideration as a data collection
technique.

So ...

Please take the time to respond (your co-operation will be the main factor
in deciding whether this medium can be used to collect valid scientific
data) ...

	1.  Does your mood influence the music you select to play (Y,N) ?
	2.  When you are depressed, do you tend to play depressing music ?
	3.  When you are depressed, do you tend to play uplifting music ?
	4.  When you are manic, do you tend to play depressing music ?
	5.  When you are manic, do you tend to play uplifitng music ?

Please send the answers to these questions (numbered 1-5 with either response
of Y or N).  Feel free to comment in a separate place.  I would also
appreciate suggestions as to how to proceed further, and would also like
some input as to how to test any hypotheses which might come out of this and
future surveys.

The question of mood is an important one, especially in today's society.  The
relationship between music and mood is, I believe, a very strong one.  By
asking simple questions (depressed vs manic) first, we might be able to lay
a foundation for some complex evaluations which could have import in many
areas including psychological therapy.  We know that there is a strong
emotional component associated with the experience of 'music'.  I think
that studying it would be an interesting pasttime.

Lastly, any collaborators (potential collaborators) out there ?

John
ROSSI@NUSC.ARPA

P.S.  This might also be a potentially important discussion question for
the digests.

------