Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

paisley and chameleons

From: hsut@ec.purdue.edu (Bill Hsu)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 86 15:15:26 EST
Subject: paisley and chameleons

Tim Wicinski will probably post a 5 page article on the paisley underground,
but what the heck...

More Paisley Underground-type bands that Doug didn't mention:
	True West	(an OK guitar-based band, not terribly original;
			 interesting cover of Syd Barrett's Lucifer Sam)
	Dream Syndicate (Got DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES on Tim's recommendation;
			 good Velvet Underground-type sound, most of their
			 later stuff is not terribly exciting)
	Plan 9		(this was a Jim Hoffman recommendation; a really
			 nice reproduction of the '60s sound, lots of
			 convoluted guitar lines and cheesy organ)

So far I've been kind of disappointed with the Paisley Underground-type
bands I've heard, tho the above bands (esp. last two) do have some
neat ideas. Most of the music I've heard which are closer to the spirit
of '60s psychedelia are not usually associated with the Paisley Underground.
Soft Boys and Robyn Hitchcock are superb, and I've enjoyed a few songs
by Hofmann's favorite Butthole Surfers.

Re: Chameleons. I really liked their first album, despite what I thought
were small flaws here and there. The UK pressing is longer (over 50 mins.)
and has a different sequence of tracks, so that's probably the one to get.
How about a review of the second album? I hope they haven't changed their
sound too much; loved those thumping, scorching bass lines and layered
keyboards.

				Bill Hsu